Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avalerio07 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Law firm not being able to provide additional information on who the CC Company is.
    Hello-

I need some assistance with this. I received a call from a law firm, stating I owe money on CC. I asked how much I owe, and from who it was. All they gave me was the dollar amount but couldn't be specific on the CC, all she told me it was from Visa. This was Saturday that I received the call, she asked how did I want to handle this out of court or in court. Told her of course out of court. I asked what kind of payment options I could get she was not very help either. Either I pay the settle of $3800 with a or pay the balance in 2 installments. Which honestly I am a single mom and can't afford to pay the full amount never the less the installments. I want to pay this off, but the law firm is not helping me with any type of payment options. I also asked her could I get further information on this CC Company, all she says she has it the date I opened the account till the last day a payment was received and the account number. But she can't give me any other information. Shouldn't they be able to provide me with all the informaiton I am requesting. Can some one please advise on this.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2008, 02:57 PM

Write them a letter, deny the debt, and ask for proof.

Send it certified mail, return receipt requested.

As long as 30 days have not passed since you were first informed of the debt, they are required to do so by law.
    Cmartin4704 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 06:04 PM

To chime in - you can also ask for a copy of the Letter of Assignment - and that might help some (the letter that was provided to the atty from the debt holder with all your information)

Good luck
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2008, 10:16 AM

Do everything in writing. Do not speak to anyone on the phone and don't give anyone any money until you are satisfied that the debt is real.

It wouldn't be the first time in history debt that was paid off was then sold to another company for collection. It might also be a scam. Anyone can call and say that you owe them money. The threat of court makes people do silly things. If you honestly don't owe the debt, call them on it and tell them to take you to court for it.

Its your credit card - if you owe it I cannot imagine you don't know about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex-Landlord failed to provide cleaning company address and other information. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, First time poster here, great site with lots of great information. I live in southern California and moved out of my apartment at the end of my lease. I gave the full 30 days notice as required and my new address to my ex landlord. 8 days after I had moved, my ex landlord sent...

Additional information wanted [ 4 Answers ]

Referencing question https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electrical-lighting/how-many-houses-could-powered-11kv-244455.html For my edification and any one else who might be interested. Are the calculations for Overhead versus lateral service planning the same? I believe that since the pots...

Main to Sub-panel Additional Information [ 1 Answers ]

In your pervious response (see pdf) your answer stated to keep the neutral and ground separate at the sub-panel. Being the novice I am, does that mean I only have to pull 2 wires or do I pull 3 including the original neutral? Thanks, ...

Debt buyer refuses to provide information [ 5 Answers ]

I am being sued by a debt buyer who claims they have bought a loan they say I defaulted on. I filed a motion to dismiss but the debt buyer's attorney has filed a motion to strike my dismissal stating that; "As a matter of law may not question either the validity of the loan assignment or the...

View more questions Search