Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilkimbrown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Credit card judgement
    My husband received a letter from the sheriff claiming that since he owed about $2000 on a credit card that was later awarded a judgement, can the sheriff come into our home and remove items totalling the $2000 for payment?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2008, 02:21 PM

Yes, they can.

In many jurisdictions, it is called a sheriffs levy.

They can take real property, sell it at auction, and apply the
    Proceeds to your judgment.

Cars, boats, RV's are commonly the type of items they look for, but I suppose it could apply to any property he owns.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Dec 3, 2008, 07:21 PM

What state are you in? It varies from state to state but I would think a wage garnishment and a bank levy would come first especially if it unsecured cc debt

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a judgement by a credit card [ 5 Answers ]

What does it mean when a credit card company has a judgement against you?

Credit Card Judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I was recently issued a for a total of amount of $1718.00 from a credit card company, of which I did not know that it was actually a judgment, but tactic to make me pay this amount. The credit card limit was for $300 originally, but the problem is that they froze my mother's bank account, because...

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Delaware. I have some credit card judgements. Can they become liens on my house?

Credit card judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I recently received a summons to appear in the magistrate office about a credit card for Capitol One that I quit paying on when I divorced my husband 4 years ago. I live in Pennsylvania and I thought the SOL was 4 years. The papers state date of accountMay 12, 2003 and they filed for a judgement...

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 credit card judgements against me and have recently filed for bankruptcy-do I need to file a motion to vacate these judgements or is it automatic with the discharge?

View more questions Search