Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miss-JS Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Tips on wearing heels without too much pain.
    Hi.

I love wearing heels on a night out, the only problem is (as I'm sure we all know) after a while they kind of hurt!

What are all of your tips on wearing heels without too much pain?

This can be anything from types of shoes to the way we wear them!

Anything is welcome!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2008, 01:20 PM

Years ago before I had back problems I used to wear high heels to work. By the end of the day I was lame and my feet hurt like crazy. Short of wearing them all the time so your legs get used to the idea of walking on the wrong part of your foot, there is nothing you can do about the pain. You could try a pair that has a lower heel to them and see if that helps.
    ingrid119 Posts: 63, Reputation: 9

Dec 7, 2008, 09:29 AM

Putting in pads at the bottom helps loads. It cushions your feet and keeps them in place so you don't get any blisters or anything.

Dec 9, 2008, 04:27 PM

Thanks.
    I have seen gel pads for heels before but haven't given them ago.
    Has anyone else tried them? What do you think?
    Xx
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2008, 05:21 PM

The pads bother me, they make the shoe too tight.

Buy a shoe stretcher. When your shoes are new, use it to break them in a bit. Until they are super comfortable, wear the shoes only places they can be removed, or you can sit and give yourself a break!

A lower heel will also help, as you aren't at quite a weird angle, and I have less trouble with shoes that don't have any sort of platform in the toe. The extra height and angle seems to make it worse on me! I know it's not as sexy, but go with a bigger heel, if possible. By bigger I mean wider - stilettos will kill your feet every time... a wider square heel will help you last longer.
    OraHayes Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2009, 08:34 PM

Get shoes that fit. Take them off when you can. Practice walking in them. You can see some girls have such fun that they don't hurt them.
    Lexi_fosho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 06:10 PM
    Well my feet are used to heels now I just wore them enough to where my feet weren't sore...
    Or you could dry those one gel pads but the back or bottom or at the toe of the shoe. Otherwise try flats for a change.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 06:35 PM

I"m one of those women who's feet hurt when they're in flats! It's bad, I know.

I'd suggest not being on your feet so much when you're "getting used to them." Taking breaks, even for a few minutes helps keep the pain away.

The gel pads do work, but like Jilly said, they make the shoes tight.

Taking breaks are the way to go.

Some times, when I've worn a pair of heels all day, I'll switch the heels to go out. That helps. I know its not practical, but having a second pair takes the pressure off certain areas of the foot and relieves some of the pain.

I'm not sure if it's a good thing that I don't get the pain any more... hmmm... ;)
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jan 17, 2009, 03:31 PM

Wear them while doing housework, I know that sounds stupid but hear me out. You are breaking them in before taking them out, and you can take them off whenever you want. You can practice walking in them as well.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 17, 2009, 03:50 PM

Now here is a tip that my mom taught me many yrs ago. This gets your feet ready to wear the heels if you're going to be in them a long time. First get one of those foot spa's (something I added, and mom just used the tub) and add epsom salts, and soak your feet to relax them. Then get out a rolling pin that you have put in the freezer for several minutes, to get it really cold. Put the rolling pin on the floor, and roll the arches of your feet on it. (You can also do this after the long day or night to help your aching feet)

In the meantime, have your shoes wrapped in a towel that you have warmed in the dryer, and that will make the shoes more pliable when you put them on. It worked like a charm for me. Give it a shot! :)

Edit: If you don't have a rolling pin, use a wine bottle! You can always have a glass afterwards if you are going out for the night! Then you won't notice so much that your feet are hurting, lol!

Jan 21, 2009, 10:57 AM

StarBuck8 - an interesting tip, sounds abit mad but hey, don't knock it till you've tried it I suppose! Haha

Has anyone else ever tried anything similar..
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 21, 2009, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss-JS View Post
    StarBuck8 - an interesting tip, sounds abit mad but hey, dont knock it till you've tried it I suppose! Haha

Has anyone else ever tried anything similar...?
    Well I've also heard a few other things that may sound just as mad. I haven't tried them, but hey. Who knows! ;) I've heard that if you're wearing nylons or tights with heels, that some people dampen the foot part and put the pantyhose in the freezer. Hmmm! And I have also heard about putting the gel inserts you can get, in the freezer for a little while before putting them in your shoes. I assume the theory is, that it will keep your feet from swelling by keeping them cold. But which is worse? Swelled feet?. or frozen feet? :rolleyes: lol!

Jan 23, 2009, 01:35 AM

Haha.

My feet are always freezing anyway so it wouldn't make any difference! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buy Heels Online [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, I live in The Netherlands, and I am obsessed with high heels. I keep my eyes open for vintage all the time! And I'm usually up to date with all the sales, I just keep finding myself bored with the shoes around here. Either someone else has them or they all look alike. Anyone have...

Calf pain while wearing cast boot [ 1 Answers ]

I fractured a metatarsal 2 and a half weeks ago and have been in an airboot/cast boot since then. About 3/4 ays ago I started getting pain in my calf. It comes and goes but can be very sore. If I massage the muscle it makes the pain worse. What should I do?

Cracked heels [ 6 Answers ]

My heels will crack open no matter what kind of lotion I use. Anyone had this problem? If so what did you do? Thanks

New shoes hurting my heels [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a converse leather shoe, however, whenever I wear it, my heels would be hurt by the back of shoe... I ended up with blister heels and man it hurts. I think this shoe is stiff but I do not want to waste money buying a new shoe. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Cracked Heels [ 1 Answers ]

This is actually not a question but an advise to those who have really dry, ugly heels... Try putting lotion or Petroleum jelly on the dry part and put on socks afterwards. This will help keeping the heels moistened and after a few days, you'll get good results. ;)

View more questions Search