Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luna442 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Can a signed and notarized letter giving us irrevesible parental rights work
    My husband has a daughter that is deaf mute and mentally challenged in her mid 20's. She has the mentality of a 12 or 13 year old teenager. Her mother has custody and guardianship of her. Two years ago the young lady got pregnant and had a baby girl, which the grandmother is taking care of as well. The young lady participates very little in the care of the child but is because of her mental and physical disabilities is unable to take responsibility for the child. Currently she is pregnant again and the grandmother states she will be unable to care for this second child and is offereing us the new baby. I have spoken to a lawyer specializing in adoption and the prices are skyhigh. I personnaly am 42 and unable to have children physically. I have been praying for a blessing like this for most of my life. We own a house and a minivan, so we are family ready. We are a middle class couple with open arms. Can a signed and notarized letter giving us irreversible parental rights and full custody hold up in court. If ever the time comes where they want to take the child back in the future? The letter would be sighned by the mother, grandmother giving up rights, my husband (grandfather) and myself accepting parental rights and full custody.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 11:25 AM

Probably not.

Of course adoption prices are sky-high. It's like a wedding---anything involved with it is expensive because people want it so badly.

I really DO suggest you use a lawyer, though. If the mother does not have the mental capability to raise a child, she may not be considered to have the mental capability to sign away her parental rights---it may HAVE to go through the courts.

I'd ALSO like to know who is taking advantage of the mother--that could be considered rape, because she may not have the understanding/capability to consent to sexual acts.

In order to adopt, you ALSO need consent from the birthfather. If he is unknown, attempts MUST be made to identify him--he has just as many parental rights, and in this case perhaps MORE, than the birthmother.

Pay the sky-high lawyer's prices. It will be worth it in the end to not have to worry about someone showing up 10 years down the road, claiming he's the father, and starting an even MORE expensive court case over custody at that time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 12:15 PM

No, notorised only means that someone made sure who signs it, it is no more legal than something you write out and just sign, it only now is shown for sure who signed it.

It is only legal if and when a judge signs off moving custody.

I would ask a serioius question how is this person getting pregnant, if she is not mentally able to care for herself and has a guardian, someone could be found guilty of rape for having sex with her, plus the person taking care of her could have that right taken away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving up parental rights in CT [ 11 Answers ]

My husband and his ex- wife cannot coexist peacefully and we feel that there son is showing signs of PAS and the nonsense she has been putting on us is killing us and our two other kids. We need the paperwork to do so. Can you help me with this?

I have a 15 month old and dad hasn't seen her, I want parental rights signed over,how [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15 month old baby girl, and her biolgical father hasn't seen her ever, he lives in another state, and just started paying child support to the state, and I don't see a dime of it, due to me being on state assistance at the moment, soon to be changing. I have full legal custody of her, and...

Giving up parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

My kids dad wants to give up parental rights to his kids. He just moved out of state and has been always absent in their lives. We were never married. I guess my question is do both parents need to be present to do this? Or can he just go to a lawyer and do this on his own?

Giving up Parental Rights [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old daughter, I have not seen her in a year her mom always causes problems and arguments. I pay 400.00 per month. I can barely live on my own and I have another child that I have to care for. Now I have received a letter where the 2 year old's mom wants even more money. I have...

My boyfriend signed a paper to voluntary relquish his parental rights. [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend voluntary gave up his righs to his daugther. She is 6 fixing to be 7. Her mother placed her with her grandma a little after she was 9 months old. My boyfriend worked a lot and mostly out of town so he wasn't here to fix what happened and that time you can say young and dumb. (I know...

View more questions Search