Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barker7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Heat pump AHU fan runs continuously
    I have a 12 year old Trane Xe1000 heat pump. Recently I noticed that the fan keeps running continuously even when the outside unit turns off. It's as if the tstat fan switch is set to On (it's not) instead of Auto. I tried a few things:

1) In the tstat (weathertron) I disconnected the fan control wire (green). Fan kept running.

2) I killed the power via the breaker. System shut down (including the fan). After re-powering the system, the fan DID properly cut off after the cooling cycle. But a day later, the problem is back

I opened the AHU access panel and according to the wiring diagram there is a fan delay relay (FDR). That could be sticking. I've also seen some other posts around the internet talking about the FDR on a Trane. What's the best way to check this relay (I'm experienced (and cautious) around electricity).
    Wha other components could fail?

Thanks

Mitch
    Arby22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2009, 07:53 PM

I had the same problem. The relay to the fan turn off the immediately turn back on. Just in the cooling, heating was fine. I had an old mechanical mercury switch Honeywell therostat. Changed t-stat to a new Honeywell, works fine. Be sure to label you wires before unwiring old t-stat.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 25, 2009, 03:15 AM
    I would check the A/C fan relay in the inside unit first. If you disconnect the fan wire in the thermostat and the fan still runs it is a good possibility the relay is stuck/defective.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Well pump runs intermitten [ 7 Answers ]

I have a submersible pump 115 ft down. It has a Square D pump pressure control box. It is a 1/2 hp 3 wire pump with a control box near the well. The pressure tank has a bladder. My problem is that the pump stops at times. The pressure gage gets hung. The pressure control box contacts engage...

Kenmore dryer runs but does not heat [ 3 Answers ]

My Kenmore dryer just stopped heating but it runs. The model number no is 110.62994101. I need help on how to fix it. If possible with diagram on How to change any part.

Heat Pump? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently had someone install a brand new 98% eff. Furnace with a 13 seer a/c. They offered to put a dual fuel heat pump in for $2000.00. My gas bills are still a little higher than I would like and I wanted to know if a dual fuel heat pump is really worth the extra money and if it would save me...

Outside fan runs continuously [ 5 Answers ]

This is a very helpful sight and I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a fairly new house (5 years old) and I am having some problems with a Carrier unit. At the end of this summer it started tripping the breaker on very hot days and we called a technician whom found nothing wrong. ...

Heat Pump [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Lennox heat pump. My builder was required to put one in per our neighborhood association. However, he set the thermostat so that it would never kick on because he thought I would like the hotter air provided by the gas furnace. I was thinking with the price of gas on the rise the heat...

View more questions Search