Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cookiew65 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Going to Court
    I have a question, I am going to court for a debt with a law office regarding a credit card that I have been paying since last July. I have sent letters to the law office stating that I owe the debt and that I intend to pay it and have been paying each month. They wanted a certain amount I did not have but I tried to make another settlement with them. Now the court sent me paperwork that they intend to garnish my wages 25% each pay which is around $270.00 a month. I don't have that kind of money and I will not be able to pay my mortgage or support my child as I am a single mother. Does the court look at all of these things and take them in consideration? I even have a copy of all the checks, correspondence and my budget to show that I don't have anymore money and that I intend to continue paying this debt.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2006, 07:16 AM
    Not really, if you owe the money and hve not paid it according to the rules and regulations of the debt, they have the right to sue you in court to get a judgement, if they have a judgement, they may attach any and all money in your bank account and/or get a garnishment.

Actually the 25 percent is lower than many, a lot of people get 50 percent of their pay garnished. Must be because you have children at home, some states have for a famiily exemption to lower the amount of the garnishment.

It does not matter that you were making payments, the lawyer will admit you did, just not enough. I would say you will still be stuck paying the 25 percent but you can ask the judge for a lower amount.

Jul 3, 2006, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Not really, if you owe the money and hve not paid it according to the rules and regulations of the debt, they have the right to sue you in court to get a judgement, if they have a judgement, they may attach any and all money in your bank account and/or get a garnishment.

Actually the 25 percent is lower than many, alot of people get 50 percent of thier pay garnished. Must be because you have children at home, some states have for a famiily exemption to lower the amount of the garnishment.

It does not matter that you were making payments, the lawyer will admit you did, just not enough. I would say you will still be stuck paying the 25 percent but you can ask the judge for a lower amount.
    I spoke to someone in my office and they said that the law office on behalf of the credit card has accepted the payments for the last year and has cashed them. I have copies of all checks. He said that if I explain to the judge I will not be able to afford my residence with my child that the judge will take that into consideration. This whole thing is so confusing. When it goes to a collection agency can they ask for whatever amount and terms they want?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 3, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Were you paying the credit card company or the law office? If you were paying the money to the law office and they accepted and processed those payments, you may have a case about them accepting the terms.

No, the creditor cannot ask for whatever terms they want. They must adhere to the original terms under which the debt was taken. However, if your debt is such that the minimum payment due is the $270, they could ask for that.

While judges may be sympathetic, they are have to adhere to the law.

Jul 3, 2006, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Were you paying the credit card company or the law office? If you were paying the money to the law office and they accepted and processed those payments, you may have a case about them accepting the terms.

No, the creditor cannot ask for whatever terms they want. They must adhere to the original terms under which the debt was taken. However, if your debt is such that the minimum payment due is the $270, they could ask for that.

While judges may be sympathetic, they are have to adhere to the law.
    I have been paying the law firm since July of 2005. I also sent correspondence to them explaining the situation and that I was unable to make the settlement they wanted and suggested another and they would not take it. They continued to cash all of my checks that I have sent them. If I owed the credit card company directly my monthly amount would be $70.00 maximum. Thanks for your response.

Jul 3, 2006, 10:08 AM
    Have you being paying the $70? Is what you have been paying been more than the monthly interest?

Jul 3, 2006, 11:13 AM
    No, I have been paying $15 to $20 a month for this card. The $70.00 represents the maximum that the credit card company would have charged me per month. I have been making roughly the monthly amounts to the law office and they never said that it was not enough money. It was just a couple of months ago they then took me to court because they want all the money now. Thanks for responding.:)

Jul 24, 2006, 06:41 AM
    I just wanted to update what happened in court. The state of NJ can garnish your wages and no matter what you say the court can not stop them. The case of Great White vs Guido stipulates that the appellate court has already made this ruling. The only thing the judge can do is modify the amount that they will take from your pay. And, that is discretionary by the judge. Many of the lawyers referred to the original credit card agreement that we all sign when we open these accounts and basically we are saying to the creditor that if we don't pay they can use any remedy they want to obtain the money due. The judge is reviewing my paperwork and I will receive notification of her decision in the mail. I just have to wait. Get rid of credit cards...
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2006, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiew65
    Get rid of credit cards......
    I think that is the wrong attitude to be taking here.

Credit cards themselves are not dangerous.

The dangerous part comes when/if you use them and don't pay your bill at the end of the month.

Everyone needs at least 1 credit car, to rent a car, to rent a hotel room, etc.

But, only using it when you have the cash to pay off the bills is another story.

Jul 25, 2006, 06:07 AM
    I agree with Forest. The issue is not credit cards but how they are used. What the credit card agreement you signed said was that you agreed to pay any charges incurred and the creditor can use any LEGAL remedy to recover that debt. That's what they are doing. They have a legal claim against you so, its true, the court cannot stop the garnishment. That's basically what we told you initially.

Good luck and I hope the judge is compassionate and reasonable.

Jul 25, 2006, 06:22 AM
    I was not saying credit cards are bad, but maybe to make sure that when you sign for one you realize more of the responsibility that comes with it. I always knew that I owed the money and I was always going to pay it. I was just upset because the tactics that some companies use to get the money. I understand it is a debt but it has become a ruthless business and understandably so because of the bankruptcy rate these days. I guess I looked at it I was paying them every month, just not the amount that they were looking for. Yes, I also hope the garnishment is reasonable. Thank you all for your comments and help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Court adjournment [ 7 Answers ]

After a trial or hearing, does the judge have to dismiss and adjourn the court? What is the proper procedure when the court have finished with the business at hand? What are the results if the judge fails to dismiss and adjourn the court? Will the Court consider the case still open? ...

Is it worth going to court? [ 8 Answers ]

My landlord violated RSA's by: 1: Charged my over half of my security deposit for cleaning areas of the house that are considered normal wear and tear. 2: Didn't pay interest on security deposit held over a year 3: Didn't advise me or notify me that I have 5 days from moving in to...

Advice before court? [ 8 Answers ]

This is kind of an update on a thread I started before. I had written about my fiance's ex not giving him his visitation and that my fiance' hasn't seen or spoken to his daughter since April. My fiance' calls weekly to try to talk to his daughter, but his ex never answers. Well for some reason, she...

Nonattendance at court [ 2 Answers ]

To Whom Can Help And Answer My Questions I Was Working For United Air Lines For Almost 5 Years ,I Have Been Working Very Hard Almost 16 Hours Per Day And My Background Is Middle Eastern ( Although I Am Usa Citizen )so While I Was Working I Was Treated Unfairly By Some Of My Supervisors And I...

Bankruptcy court [ 0 Answers ]

My husband and I will be going to bankruptcy court in 4 days and 2 days ago had a phone conversation with the Trustee.He ask all the questions we thought was going to be ask in court plus some.What can we expect now and what are the questions we can expect now.I am so nervous I hope I can answer...

View more questions Search