Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dsacks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Can short term capital losses offset long term capital gains in the same tax year?
    A friend sold some investment real property this year and had a large long term capital gain. He invested the proceeds in the market and the values are down. If he sells the investments now he will have some short term capital losses. Can he use the STCL to offset the LTCG? He also paid estimated taxes on the LTCG so if he can use the STCL to offset the LTCG, he should be able to get some relief from the estimated taxes he paid earlier this year... correct?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 09:54 AM

Yes, ST losses can offset LT gains, but to be clear - first any ST losses are used to offset ST gains, and LT losses are used to offset LT gains. If he has excess ST losses (ST loss exceeds ST gain), then the remainder is used to offset any remaining LT gains. If the total of ST +LT losses exceeds his LT+ST gains, then he can offset ordinary income up to a max of $3K. If his net losses are greater than $3K, he would carry over the excess into next year.

Regarding your question about getting "relief" from the estimated taxes - when he does his taxes and files next April if it turns out that the estimated taxes he paid are more than his final tax bill, he can either get a refund or credit it towards his 2009 tax bill. There's no way prior to filing his tax return to get a refund of estimated taxes already paid.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short term vs long term capital gains, loss carryovers [ 4 Answers ]

Back in 2000 and 2001, I had short term capital losses that exceeded the 3000 dollar limit. Each year, I've been able to deduct 3000 dollars since my short term gains have been minimal. I still haven't used up all my 2000 and 2001 short term losses. I had some long term gains in 2000, but...

Short versus long term capital gains [ 1 Answers ]

I have an investment account that I'd like to reposition some of my holdings from. For tax purposes, can I offset a long term capital gain with a short term capital loss or do I have to match long term gains with long term losses, etc? Secondly, if I have a long term or short term loss, and I...

Q: Amened tax return involving long-term capital gains [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need to amend my tax return for 2006. I overlooked money that I got from selling stocks that I held for more than 5 years. I think that the tax rate on this money would be lower than my income rate since it was a risk investment and I held it for more than 5 years. The Amendment form 1040X...

Long Term Capital Gains? [ 1 Answers ]

I used TaxAct to do my 2005 taxes. During 2005 I sold stock that I held for more than 2 years. When I reviewed the TaxAct print out, there was no discount on the gains from the stock sale. When I sold stock in the past (long term), only a portion of the gains was recorded as income. Is long term...

Short-term capital gains from stock sales [ 2 Answers ]

"Short-term stock gains are taxed as ordinary income. Therefore, the nominal tax rate will be whatever tax bracket you are in. More explicitly, it will be taxed at the federal tax rate (bracket) as determined by your taxable (not gross) income line on your federal tax return." If all of my income...

View more questions Search