Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    risnstr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Lost rolltop computer desk key
    :rolleyes:I have a rolltop computer desk, but it's fairly new. The store I bought it from is no longer in business and I lost the key. The key looks like the old fashioned type keys. Any suggestions?
    Thank you
    risnstr
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2008, 12:46 AM

Hi, risnstr!

The first suggestion that I have, would be that you go to the store of a locksmith and a hardware store and look for keys that are similar to the one that you lost and see if they have any that are similar. You could then purchase them, and if one of them works, then you could probably return the other keys that didn't work for a refund.

Many locksmith and hardware stores will have keys already in stock that they don't have to cut out, especially for more common types of locks, such as those that might be found on cabinets and desks.

Thanks!
    Carlotte Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 11:04 PM

I have done the same thing, locked my key inside my Oak Crest roll top desk,and need help. If you can tell me what you have tried, and has worked for you, please do! Many thanks!
    Carlotte Bjork [email protected]
    Carlotte Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 06:55 PM
    I was surprised to see how many people have had the same problem--at least 6-7 have left messages such as yours on this site.
    I did the same thing yesterday, and have been working on it most of the day. If you find a solution please let me know what it is! I will do the same for you--but easier if you would give me your email and I'll give you mine: [email protected]
    WE have two home consignment stores (San Jose CA area) which sell used furniture and have carried desks similar to mine. I stopped in there and they both gave me lots of roll top desk keys to borrow. I tried them all and none has worked--but one might have worked on your desk. No charge to try this... an easy solution if it is a match. You could try an antique/vintage shop or used furniture store in your area to see if they have some keys you could borrow. What is the name of the manufacturer of your desk? Mine is Oak Crest-- the co. went out of business years ago. I am looking now for one of their keys. Good luck ! Let me know what you do.
    whylock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2011, 10:03 PM
    You will need 2 or 3 people. Take the main pencil desk drawer out. Underneath you will see the locking mechanism. Person one shines light underneath so person 2 with two small flat head screw drivers can see the mechanism clearly. Person with two flathead screw drivers squeezes in both sides of the lock sides, while person three pulls up the top. Wallah, the desk is open. This can be done with 2 people if you have a really bright light underneath that will work, because the person underneath will need both hands to press back the metal ends of the lock.
    jean lynnell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2013, 12:07 PM
    I just found your post on lost keys to your Oak Crest Roll top desk. Did you ever find a key similar to work? My situation is we just bought a house out of foreclosure and it has an Oak Crest Roll Top desk that is upstairs... and locked. Would appreciate any suggestions further than the usual going to an antique furniture store. Thanks... Jean
    wbonham Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2013, 01:33 PM
    Unfortunately, the pencil drawer is inside the locked portion of the desk.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2013, 04:42 PM
    This may help many of you:
    Skeleton Keys - Kennedy Hardware LLC
    mcrane11661 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2017, 05:24 PM
    Thank you for your very helpful suggestion and directions. Our cleaning lady closed our roll top desk with the key inside the draw. We followed your directions and the desk opened with no problem. I am so relieved that you posted this suggestion and it worked. Many, many thanks:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Antique rolltop desk made in dayton Ohio,by the m. Chmer's son's co. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I was just wondering if I could get information on how to look up an old company that made an old rolltop desk my husband acquired through his father from his grandfather.. and all we got is the name off the desk and we know it was made in dayton Ohio...

After computer goes to sleep Internet connection is lost? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an HP Notebook, w/windows 2000 and comcast internet. After the computer goes into sleep mode and then wakes up I do not have an internet connection. Everything else works fine. I have to restart the computer to restore internet. I have been unable to find any settings that would explain...

How do I get the deep cuts out of a computer desk? [ 5 Answers ]

I scratched my grandfathers computer desk, and he's really mad about it. How do I get rid of the deep scratches without buying a new desk? Please! Help Me!

Rolltop Desk Key [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have lost the key to my rolltop desk. It is now locked and I am unable to get into it. This is an older rolltop desk from the 1920's or 1930's with one of those old fashioned basic looking type keys. Is there someplace where I can get a key for this desk? Is there a way to...

View more questions Search