Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Dec 2, 2008, 06:36 PM
    American daughter to marry Canadian in Canada
    My 21 yr old US daughter has been living with her fiancé in Ottawa for a year now. They want to marry there. What does she need to do? She has read immigration law but is very confused. Also, she doesn't want a church wedding. She wants the equivalent of an American " justice of the peace in the courthouse wedding. "

Is she already a "common law wife?". Can she work? Can she get PR privileges?:confused:

Thank you for any info you can supply.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2008, 02:59 PM

She can't work right now and yes she could file as a common law spouse but the application process will be easier after they are officially married.

It would be best to have many people attend the wedding from both sides of the family to show that this is not just a fraud marriage.

Like the US, Canada asks for proof that the couple have known each other and spent a lot of time together before marriage. The application process itself will take 6 months to a year (or more if they decide to investigate the couple further) and costs around $1200-1300 when you add all the charges that will have to be paid.

I live in Canada and my wife is from Florida, we filed in February 2007 and she didn't get her permanent resident approval till November 2007
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Dec 3, 2008, 03:27 PM

This might be helpful: Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marry a canadian indian with status card///i am from the US [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of papers and where would I get them and file them... I want to marry a canadian Indian... with status card, I live in the U S and he lives in canada... we want to get married in the US however we might go to live in canada within a year or 2... where to start...

Marry with Canadian [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am Rishi I have J-1 visa 2 years rules apply.. I got a offer from canadian girl.. she wants to marry with me.. if I marry with canadian Girl.. then can I go to canada for PR without waiver,, Thank You

Marry to American Citizen [ 1 Answers ]

This September 2007 I will marry my American Citizen girlfriend, but my problem is Im only J1 visa holder. So can I apply a US citizenship to break the 2 yrs. Does not apply rule ? May J1 Visa passport will expire this coming Jan. 2008 it is possible to grant me a green card so I will be back again...

View more questions Search