Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clueless7 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 12:08 AM
    Anyone use RegCure?
    Someone referred me to this free software, RegCure, which I downloaded. I have used it to scan my computer a couple of times, but I have never approved the changes to my registry. Makes me a bit leery I guess.

Has anyone used this program and liked it? There is a more complete version that of course does cost $$$. I have not invested in this yet. I'd like to know more about this from someone who has used it.

I have no doubt my registry could contain a bunch of junk. The biggest problem I've had since I had my computer rebuilt is that it came home with an "extra" print port that does not exist. Prior to the upgrade, my black and white HP 6P was on LPT 2 and my HP 4500 was on LPT 1, as per HP's instructions way back when I got the 4500. Now they don't support either.

Now the HP 6P is listed on LPT 3, which doesn't exist. The 4500 doesn't work at all -- just prints garbage, but prints a perfect test page. The computer no longer talks to this printer, whereas before the upgrade both printers worked perfectly with the computer. Looking in msconfig, the HP 6P is listed on BOTH LPT 2 AND LPT 3 with nothing listed on LPT 1.

The only good printer tech I know tells me that getting new printers won't solve anything, that I'll still have the problem until the port thing is solved. There is nothing wrong with the printers and the HP 6P works, but I can't use my fave toy, the 4500, anymore.

Question: would using the RegCure fix help this problem??
    :confused:

TIA
    MrSulu Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2009, 06:02 PM
    I tried the RegCure trial version and thought it was OK for what it does. Later, I saw posts for CCleaner and Eusing, freeware registry cleaners. Both seemed to work fine. They all seem to find a lot of junk in the registry, and my system has worked better since I started using these programs.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2009, 06:05 PM
    Add my vote for Ccleaner. I use on my computer and the computers I fix in my tech support biz.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jan 23, 2009, 07:35 PM

If no one's mentioned CCleaner... um, never mind, did that joke already.

Vote #3 for CCleaner...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2009, 08:23 PM

I think someone is barking up the wrong tree.

Open the printer control panel. Go to Properties. Under ports, make sure the port is correct and bi-directional printing is enabled.

Under the Advanced tab, make sure the printer drivers are correct.

You should be able to have multiple printer drivers for the same printer.

For the laserprinter, I do recommend HP's Universal Printer Driver. It's a departure from the way most drivers work. For it creates Virtual Printers with different characteristics, but can operate on the same port.

For my laser, I have a printer which has duplex enabled and one that does not. I could, for instance have a Postscript version and a PCL5 version if so desired.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need phone number for paretologic regcure [ 6 Answers ]

I can't get in touch with the company who makes regcure registry cleaner.there name is paretologic they are from canada. Please help.

Registery Cleaner - RegCure [ 2 Answers ]

Any good advice for a Registery Cleaner I want to download which is safe and free. Is RegCure safe to download? Thanks:

View more questions Search