Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helprequest Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 11:00 PM
    Wye Placement
    Hello All,

I have a question as to the correct placement of a wye fitting. This is a 3" wye from a toilet that is draining into the main line. After installing this I realized that the wye may need to be placed more on its side, rather than almost upright. I'm imagining the water just flowing by as the waste drops down at the change of direction. I could not get a combo to fit to maintain the slope so I went with a wye.

Please see attached pictures, is this WYE OK in this position?

Thanks

Justin
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 2, 2008, 05:17 AM
    Hello HR...

No need for concern here. Everything will work fine. Biggest concern isn't the fitting itself but the pitch of the 3" pipe coming into it...which should be 1/4" pitch per foot!

Only thing I would do (and I can't see the overall layout from the pic. Above), but I would add a DANDY CLEAN OUT (also called a test tee... see pic. Below) just after the pipe comes out of the wye/45 fittings... up to you.

Looking good!

MARK
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Your wye's just fine for drainage. As Mark pointed out it's the slope that counts here.
    Now if tha wye were taking off for a vent you would be required to cock the wye up on a 45degree angle just the way you have. Good luck, Tom

Dec 3, 2008, 12:37 AM

Thanks Guys, I was hoping this was OK.

The slope for the upper pipe is almost dead on, its about 4' and drops 1" before going into the 45.

The pipe on the ground is the main line and was in place before I started this project, about 30 years now. It looks steeper in the picture than I thought it was, but I can't change it without doing some major digging. However there have been no drainage problems in the three years I have been at this house so I think it is OK. There is a cleanout about a foot behind the furthest back fitting shown above.

Thanks again for your time.

Justin

Dec 3, 2008, 12:44 AM

Sorry MassPlumber, The robot in the machine wouldn't let me give you a rep bump... "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to massplumber2008 again."

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

LPN placement testing [ 3 Answers ]

Does Anyone Know What Kind Of Questions Are On The Lpn Placement Test Or What Site I Could Go To?? help Me Please

Decimal placement [ 2 Answers ]

.40% .10% With the decimel point in front of the number, and without any zeros. I know .40% must be a small percent of a 100. I know its not 40% or 4% Same with .10%

Tattoo placement [ 2 Answers ]

I would really like to get a tattoo on my stomach but I am afraid that when I decide to have children it will stretch and afterward not look very good:confused: Does anyone have any advice on whether I should continue with getting this tattoo or if I should think of a different place?

View more questions Search