Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bdonaldh13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 10:27 PM
    Adopt my grilfriends kid?
    I would like to adopt my girlfriends kid. How would I go about doing that? What kind of flags could be placed? How much could this cost me? The father has no rights to the child and don't want to be in the child's life. I have tooken on the roll of the father to my girlfriends kid and now we would like to put it down on paper and legalize it? Any info will help thanks.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 10:48 PM

You two need to get married and in most states they require you to be married for at least one year.

Once this happens then you shouldn't have no problem adopting your girlfriend child especially since the father is willing to give up his rights. Until then the biological father does have rights to child even if he wishes not to use them.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bdonaldh13 View Post
    i would like to adopt my girlfriends kid. how would i go about doing that? what kind of flags could be placed? how much could this cost me? the father has no rights to the child and dont want to be in the childs life. i have tooken on the roll of the father to my girlfriends kid and now we would like to put it down on paper and legalize it? any info will help thanks.

The father DOES have rights, whether he uses them or wants them or not.

If he is willing to sign documentation for the Court - usually in the Court's format - and you have been married over a year in a stable relationship (which means first you have to marry and then you have to wait a year) you can file the adoption papers.

Cost? Depends on the area. People have posted that they've handled the entire adoption without an Attorney. Others have posted that the Court would not allow that.

Depends on where you are.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 2, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bdonaldh13 View Post
    the father has no rights to the child and dont want to be in the childs life. i.
    What makes you say this? Getting rights terminated is a difficult process. So you need to determine whether is rights have been legally terminated or not.

As noted, FIRST you get married, then you hire a Family Law attorney to prepare the adoption. You can start shopping around for an attorney now and get an idea of the fees so you can save up.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Dec 2, 2008, 08:34 AM

Actually, I have to say that some states do allow adoption proceedings to begin before marriage.

I know my sister's husband was able to sign adoption papers the same day they got married--they called it their "family" day, instead of their wedding.

However--if the father has no rights, then WHY were they terminated? Or is it just that the father has no custody?

Your best bet, regardless, would be to talk to a local family lawyer to get the details on how to go about this.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Dec 5, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Well unfortunately if the biological father has not yet signed over his parental rights, then he DOES have rights because he fathered the child. You will need to get the bio father to sign over these rights before you can adopt the child.
    Most, if not all states require the step father to be married to the mother before he can adopt the child, so its not likely you'll be able to adopt until or unless you marry the mother.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopt again? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a six month old son who is adopted. I brought him home with me when he was 9 days old... I am single but I want to adopt again. I am financally stable, have a wonderful job that allows me to be with my son, and I have the room in my home. My friends and family say I'm crazy though... is it...

Want to adopt [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking into adoption but I don't know where to start. I need to know the requirements and everything I need to do to prepare for adopting a child, can someone please help? :(

Want to adopt [ 7 Answers ]

Hi M a 25 yrs old single woman. M working in a good company. I want to adopt a child, but m not sure what laws are there to adopt one. I don't know whether, I can adopt a baby, without having a man in my life. I have no intention of getting married , or associating with any man. So I want to know...

I want them to adopt me [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 14, I'm living with a family who are kind of my foster family, we are getting a residency order put in place, I want them to adopt me, and they would be more than happy to, but we don't think my birth parents would agree to it, it would be messy. I was wondering what would have to happen if we...

Want to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

What would to necessary steps be to adopting a 26 illegal immigrant. He has a tax ID number and has never been in troulble with the law and has been paying taxes for three years. Hes a great man I would like to help... Any ideas!!

View more questions Search