Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimmiller Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 05:37 PM
    How to clean mildew without hurting septic tank
    We have mildew ordor coming from our bathroom sinks. We can't use bleach without harming the septic system. Someone told me peroxide will work without doing damage to the septic system. Any ideas??
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 05:46 PM

First off you need a great deal of bleach to hurt your septic field and tank, like 10-20 gallons to make a dent. A bleach free solution is mix 1/2 cup baking soda with 1/2 cup table salt and dump down the drain followed by a cup of white vinegar. Allow to bubble and soak over niht and flush with abig bucket of very hot watyer, smelling better now?
    jimmiller Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Ballengerb1 has a very logical answer and his point about a reasonable amount of bleach not causing a problem is good as well. Thanks and I will try your solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic Leach Bed Leaks Back into Septic Tank [ 15 Answers ]

Every time we get a heavy rain I get water coming from the leach bed back into the septic tank. Is there a check valve that can be installed to prevent this from happening or any other suggestions? I have been told that a curtain drain would help, but that is costly.

Septic Tank [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a house 2 years ago that was approximately 2 years old. It has a septic tank. Lately I've been smelling an odor in my master bathroom (stronger in the morning) and now I'm starting to smell it in my master bedroom. The master bedroom and bath are on the opposite side of the house from...

Where is my septic tank? [ 12 Answers ]

Closing on my 1st house soon and I want to find out the condition of the tank.. unfortunately the seller is just flipping the house so he doesn't know.. generally how far and how deep are septic tanks.. I see a very big cast iron pipe in the basement leading out.are the tanks always in a straight...

Septic tank clean out [ 1 Answers ]

How often should I have my septic tank cleaned out. I have lived here for 8 years and never had it done. No problems yet. Thanks!

What's a good way to clean mildew off the canvas on my pop-up camper? [ 4 Answers ]

My newly purchased used pop-up camper has quite a bit of mildew on the canvas. Know of any tried and true methods for cleaning it off? Thanks!

View more questions Search