Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steamjune Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 04:38 PM
    What does it mean when a well pump comes on and off very quickly, what is that called
    What is it called when a well pump comes on and off quickly
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Hi Stemjune:

I don't know much about pumps... city boy here... ;) But check out this link:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...ly-242745.html

It may help some.

Then pop back to this thread and ask any more questions you may have. We have a couple real smart pump guys here that will pop in and help... soon..?

Good luck...

MARK
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 05:34 PM

Short cycling
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 05:37 PM

Yep, short cycling.

Now, are looking just for the name, or are you looking for the cause? If looking for the cause, then look real close at marks recommended site. Any other questions? We will be happy to help.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 05:46 PM

Steam, it does sound like short cycling. Do the following:

1. Make sure the system holds pressure with no water being used. Simply look at the gauge when the pump is not running and no faucets are on. It should hold pressure. If it does, then...

2. Press the air valve on top of the pressure tank for two or three seconds. If water comes out, then the diaphragm in the tank is ruptured and the tank, in all likelihood, is ruined.

3. If the system does not hold pressure (in #1 above), then the culprit is likely a faulty check valve.

Get back with what you find out from above.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my well pump cycle on and off so quickly? [ 11 Answers ]

My well pump seems to be cycling on and off more quickly then ever. I have a Square D Pumptrol. It cycles on at 40 and off at 60 which is what it is rated to do. However it cycles on and off every 2 seconds when water is in use. Any ideas?

Needs mortgage quickly [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to purchase a single family home in Maryland, but our credit scores are below 580. We need to move quickly, due to bad tenants in the building. My husband is self employed and I just started working after a medical illness. We have credit issues and are working on correcting them...

How could he move on so quickly? [ 2 Answers ]

After 5 months of being together everyday, because of our age difference and the fact that he could never introduce me to his mother or family (he told her but she was very upset) I broke it off with a guy that was 19 years younger than I. He pursued me until I gave in and let him in my heart. ...

Need answers quickly ! [ 1 Answers ]

OK now.. she's 16 and I'm 23, I know we're not supposed to have anything in common , and you can't think of anything that I would be interested in other than her physical attraction.. true but not entirely, she's very smart and mature, doesn't matter, I know.. I just want to know if it is OK in...

Please help quickly [ 4 Answers ]

Hi my name is Laura Hall, and I was born on the 21st of febraury and I need to no my future because I have been told I don't have a good life ahead please help. Laura

View more questions Search