Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    french11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 03:37 PM
    All drains very slow.
    My shower is in the basement and drains very very slow, and my bathroom sink in the upstairs used to drain slow but now doesn't drain at all. My downstairs sink drains just fine. We've had problems in the past but this seems to happen all the time. I can't afford to keep paying plumbers. Anything at home that I can try? Do you think I need to unclog the main drain? If so how do I go about doing that? Wheni plunged my upstais sink this morning a lot of black smelly water came up. What is that? Thanks for your help.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Hi French...

Start by removing the pop-up assembly at the upstairs sink if you can (see picture). Here, unscrew the retaining nut and pull back on the horizontal pivot rod to remove the pop-up from inside the sink. Now, re-install the retaining nut/horizontal rod and then plunge again only this time you will also plug the overflow hole in upper sink area with a wet rag at the same time. Then run water to a 2-3 inch depth and PLUNGE the drain while plugging the overflow vent/hole. This will allow you to get a real deep set plunge on the drain and should help to clear the blockage... if you are lucky. The black stuff is an accumulation of chemicals and soaps, etc, that build up over time.

I do not think you need to snake the main drain line at this point.

In terms of the shower drain, I would recommend that you try to plunge the drain here, too. If that doesn't work then I recommend that you RENT a medium electric snake machine and purchase some leather gloves and a pair of safety goggles and snake the drain line clear (20 feet or so should do it). Go in and out a few times to do best job.

Try these things and please let us know how you make out... ok?

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow drains [ 4 Answers ]

Our house is 10 years old. The drains are getting slow. This includes the bathroom sinks and the kitchen sink and disposal. The plumbing is the PVC kind. What do you recommend to clean them out? I throw ice in the disposal sometimes to clean it while it runs. This helps and I do not put any raw...

Tub drains slow [ 3 Answers ]

Just installed a new tub and surround. When taking a shower it fills up with about 8 inches of water before it will drain. It drains very slow and then when it gets to a certain level it will go out. Is this a venting problem?

Slow Drains on some drains; others are fine [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Ranch on a basement built circa 1960. The house was completely gutted (new kitchen cabinets and appliances and all new bathrooms.. . hardwood refinished upstairs and re-sealed and the downstairs basement was re-finished as well) and remodeled inside before we bought it. After living in...

Slow drains [ 2 Answers ]

Pretty much every drain in my house is running slow or backs-up. Is there a central problem with the drainage or should I tackle each situation idependantly?

Slow drains [ 1 Answers ]

Being from TX with the recent heavy rains I have noticed our drains are now running slower that usual, we are on a septic system. Is this indicative of more serious problems or related to the recent high ground saturation?

View more questions Search