Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BrenSmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Toilet Bubbles When Showering
    We live in an old farm house with one vent pipe and the toilet bubbles when using the shower or bath. The septic tank was just drained a couple of years ago so I don't think that's it. I think it might be the vent pipe because the toilet wants to overflow if the tub is draining but otherwise it flushes fine. Could it be a blockage in the vent pipe? If so what is the best way to clean it?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 06:51 PM

The tub drain drains into the same pipe as the commode does, and as long as the water in the tub is not higher than the water in the commode it will not overflow unless you flush the commode while the water is that high. Using the lavatory is another thing, I have an idea that the lavatory drains into the vent for the commode and since the lavatory is higher than the commode it is possible to overflow the commode by running water into the lavatory.

I think the problem is a stopped up in the line from the commode to the septic tank. Or even though you had the tank drained two years ago it can still be a problem with the septic system. The tank could be full and if it is it will keep the field tiles draining all of the time and this can saturate the field lines to the point that it will not evaporate as fast as you are putting water into the tank.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2008, 09:48 AM
    Letmetellu gave you a excellent discription of your problem. Thje only problem with his answer is that he failed to provide a solution.
    the toilet bubbles when using the shower or bath. The septic tank was just drained a couple of years ago so I don't think that's it. . Could it be a blockage in the vent pipe? If so what is the best way to clean it?
    If you had a clog in the vent, (you do have a roof vent pipe above the bathroom don't you? And what vents the kitchen sink?) it would produce a gurgle. Bubbles indicate a clog in the drain line.
    Check in your attic to be sure the kitchen doesn't revent in to the bathroom roof vent and snake from the bathroom roof vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base and 20 feet more. Good luck and thank you for rating my reply. M Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet empties when showering [ 5 Answers ]

We have a septic tank. Our house about 35 yrs old. I've noticed the past couple days our toilet in out master bath has been mysteriously empty when I go in the room. We have 2 bathrooms, back to back. Today I took a shower in that bathroom and heard "bubbles" and noticed the toilet water level...

Toilet rises and bubbles when another toilet is flushed during heavy rain [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet rises, bubbles and partially empties itself when another toilet is flushed. The water drains fine from the flushed toilet. House is ranch stlyle on a slab and connected to a public sewer system. The toilets are not back to back, but about 10 feet apart in two separate rooms We had heavy...

Bubbles in toilet [ 1 Answers ]

What does it mean to have bubbles appear in the upstairs toilet when I flush? I've never had a problem with it (no overflow or slow flow), and the main sewer line out from the house was recently reamed with a snake. Am I in imminent danger of a sewage backup? Or do I just need that line snaked out?...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

View more questions Search