Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LifeChangesMan Posts: 329, Reputation: 39

Dec 1, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Ab Workout?
    Can someone hook me up with an AB workout?
    Andy2982 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Try P90X... I think you will like it. Also remember this, that no matter how much you exercise, your diet is 75% of the battle with seeing the results you want.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 01:52 PM

Get one of those pilates balls- the big inflatable ones. There are so many exercises you can do with those. My personal trainer had some killers that she had me do. If you have one...

Lay on the floor with your knees bent holding the ball above your head but on the floor. Slowly bring the ball up keeping your arms straight at the same time bring your legs up (about ball width apart) and put the ball between your feet. It's basically like you're transferring the ball back and forth between your hands and your feet. The trick is don't let your feet touch the ground. I used to do 3 sets of 20 reps but that was starting.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Not only is the pilates ball a great thing to have and use, but pilates itself teaches you good form and the best ways to strengthen your core with the best results possible.

Yes... most of the dvds are all women or mostly woman. Doesn't mean a thing. Pilates is rough stuff. There are always evil, nasty ways to take a move you've "mastered" and make it harder. Seriously. Just when you think you can hold your legs 6 inches off the floor for a full set no problem, then try it with a 2lb weighted ball held between your feet. Not so much fun now, eh? You can do plank no problem? Put your legs up on the pilates ball and do it at an angle now. Evil, evil stuff.

Most good ab work doesn't require anything but a plan of effective moves, very good form, and deliberate effort. Bicycle or pike crunches, plank, pilates-style situps and half rollbacks are all good for the core.

The Stott Pilates: The Secret to Flat Abs is a good dvd. You can find it on Amazon or online for a few dollars (under $8 last time I looked). Personally, I use only a fraction of the moves taught in this video... but, again, once you master the breathing, form, and the ability to engage your muscles, it'll give you great results.

Doing other things like squats and lunges, while having your abs engaged, will also help tighten up your abs, sides, back... your core.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2008, 02:59 PM

These crunches are very good.

Starting Position
    Lie on the floor on your back with your knees bent. Bring the soles of your feet together, so that your knees angle out.

Middle Position
    Perform the crunch: slowly raise your head and shoulders in a forward-curling motion off the floor.

The Finish
    Hold for two seconds and lower yourself back to the starting position.

I always raise my pelvis while I am doing the crunch it works great
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Oh... and if you are doing quality moves... good form, not cheating... do 3 sets of about 25 reps. You don't need more than that if you are really focused on good muscle engagement and form. When normal crunches become "easy", switch to bicycle crunches, then pike.

Most people slog through a motion and don't focus on muscle engagement like pilates forces you to do.

*edited in* another good source for getting good results is to check out a body building book. I workout regularly, but I'm not a trainer or bodybuilder. Still, the golds gym bodybuilding encyclopedia I bought a dozen years ago still gets used. Those people want the best results in the most efficient workout. Injuries due to bad technique can't happen. So a good body building book can explain how to hit what muscle groups with what moves and with good, safe, efficient form. Ill see if I can find something online... *edited in*
    r2chi2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2009, 06:53 PM
    I'd recommend reading The Abs Diet by David Zinczenko. It's a best seller. Aside from the actual workouts and plan, there's actually some interesting practical information about maintaining a healthy diet that's realistic. Easy read, too.

I'll second the P90X recommendation, although that program isn't just about Abs. It's a full on system for all around strength training and body toning. I wrote a p90x review after I finished on my personal blog to try and put all the useful information in one place. Ab Ripper X (one of the DVDs) is pretty hardcore when it comes to targeting abs. There's also Abs/Core Plus, which comes with P90X Plus... you can probably tell I'm a fan of the series.
    dunshster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2010, 10:54 PM
    I would like to put another vote for p90x's ab ripper x. I have a <a href="http://www.fitnesstrainingreview.com/p90x-review/">p90x review</a> on my blog. You can also check out all of the other <a href="http://www.fitnesstrainingreview.com/">p90x reviews</a> on the rest of my blog for a very good idea of what you might be getting yourself into.
    dunshster Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2010, 10:55 PM

I would like to put another vote for p90x's ab ripper x. I have a p90x review on my blog. You can also check out all of the other p90x reviews on the rest of my blog for a very good idea of what you might be getting yourself into.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What workout? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the middle of an inactive winter compared to my active summers and have put on a winter coat of fat! I'm joining a gym tomorrow and want to know what equipment/workout plan I should be using to burn as much fat as possible. I don't want to be chunky but am also very impatient and like to...

Best Workout [ 6 Answers ]

I am a 34 year old woman who needs to lose 30 pounds and can't seem to end her cravings for sugar/candy I have been exercising 45 minutes 4 days of cardio for two weeks and want to know best way to lose the weight in thighs, butt and abs

Ab workout. [ 1 Answers ]

I go to the gym everyday and I'm trying to get a six pack or at least a little more cut. Im 5'9" and weight 152. I was wondering are there any other workouts I can do to get the six pack or become more cut? I don't eat much and if I do I run a half a mile before I work out anyway so I can get my...

Right workout [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a workout that reduces love handles? If so can you please share the secret!

AB Workout [ 2 Answers ]

What's a good ab workout video? I just had a baby...

View more questions Search