Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Diet Pepsi Girl Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Does home insurance cover pipes/sewer/septic?
    I just bought my house (built in 1955). It was on a septic, but the washing machine was backing up all of this black nasty stuff and we determined that the field lines had failed. So thousands of dollars later, we are on city sewer.
    The washing machine still backs up, but the water is now clean and soapy (yay :) )

Can I collect anything from my homeowners insurance from this mess? How about the cost to asses the problem with the washing machine? How about the fact that I had to pay thousands of dollars to switch to the city sewer to avoid any future problems like this?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 07:19 PM

Some insurance policies cover flooding from burst pipes and things like that. You should call your insurance agent and discuss this with them to see if you are covered. You should have contacted the insurance agent before you paid out anything or had it fixed.
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 4, 2008, 01:57 PM
    Okay, here is what I am going to say. The insurance company will most likely not cover the cost of switching to city water. The reason is that it was an improvement to the home and was not a result of the damage. You m ay be able to recover some of the damages like having the water cleaned out of the basement or having a plumber look into the problem. I'm about 99% sure that your insurance is not going to cover hooking you to the city water supply. Sorry.

Hope this helps,

Aaron
    charl89 Posts: 64, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 02:28 PM

I work for an insurance company and we cover the damage caused by the escape of water e.g. pipes, boiler but don't cover replacing the cause of the damage. All insurance companies have different policy wordings so you need to check up on that

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does home insurance cover garage doors? [ 1 Answers ]

The garage door on my rental property was damaged by my tenant. Does my insurance covers the garage door?

Does home insurance cover for toilet problems [ 11 Answers ]

My toilet don't flush down it only comes out at the base of the toilet.And when I empty dish water from kitchen sink it comes out at the toilet's base. Shall I call a plumber rotorouter or insurance agent?:confused:

Cover for home sewer vent [ 1 Answers ]

Squirrels have been storing pecans in our sewer vent and we have had major plumbing problems. The vents have been cleaned out, but we need to know how to keep the critters out. I understand we could put screen over the top, but wouldn't they just eat through it. What would you recommend we use?...

Switching from septic to sewer [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone have an idea of the costs involved for switching from septic to sewer? They've put up townhomes in the area, so there should be a sewer line close enough. I probably would wait until the tank or field needs serious work or replacing if it's really expensive, so part of the cost would be...

Sewer trap cover [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, We have a terra cotta pipe in our front yard leading down to the sewer lateral line (is this called the "sewer trap"?). This pipe has, until recently, had a round terra cotta cover on it... eight inches in diameter and 3/4" thick in this case. Clay being what it is, this cover has...

View more questions Search