Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matsondt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Basement Tub Install
    I had bathroom plumbing rough-in completed when our house was built. As I started to finish the basement I came to realize that where the bathtub is to go there isn't any trap below the concrete. I understand that this is a typical scenario so my question is how do I fit a trap under the bathtub w/o having to rip up concrete?

Thanks,
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Hi Matsondt...

First, pour a half gallon of water down the drain pipe... then take a flashlight and look inside. Is there any standing water? If so.. that means there is a trap present.

If not, then if this is tub install you need to break that floor up so you can install a trap and connect the tub waste assembly.

There is usually a BOXOUT in the floor for tubs... called a DAPOUT box. I take it this is not present here.. ALso, wondering what size pipe you have there? If it is 2" pipe and has trap present then this may have been piped for a shower... just wondering?

Let me know what you discover...

MARk

Dec 1, 2008, 09:32 AM
    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for the quick reply.

A trap is not present. I believe the rough-in was generic in order to provide tub and sink placement options. So no dapout provided.

I believe the pipe to be 3". Aside from breaking up concrete I guess my other option is to build a platform for the tub in order to give me the space required to install a trap.

Do you know of any other option(s). Special basement tub or anything?

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Hi Daniel...

I am afraid there is no quick fix for this, but I want you to know that in my experience it will take you more time to build a platform then it will to simply chip out some concrete, dig down a bit and install a proper trap. And it will be a much nicer job in the end!

Once you get a hole started with concrete the rest usually chips out pretty quick! Can rent a chipping hammer at local rental store and be done pretty quick...

Let us know if need help as you go along... ;)

MARK

Dec 1, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Thanks Mark. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Thanks... :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement install [ 1 Answers ]

I want info on install basement toilet from start to finish:confused:

Basement 1/2 bath install [ 9 Answers ]

I would like to add a half bath in my basement. The planned half bath is just below my kitchen sink on the main level and near the first floor laundry as well. My laundry is just off the kitchen but there is crawl space under it. In the area where I want to put the half bath, there is a 2" PVC...

How do I install a basement toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I have just finished demolishing the "Finish" part of my basement. It was always cold plus there was mold behind the walls. Now that everything is gone, my wife and I have decided to add a basement watercloset. How does one locate the drain pipes before tearing up the floor? Does the...

New Install - Toilet in Basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am posting on behalf of DH: "I'm installing a bathroom in my basement and I'm at the portion of installing the toilet. We have a slab basement floor, and the builder (1980s) left about 9" of 3” ABS pipe sticking out of the concrete where the toilet should go. My question is on the flange. ...

Basement Tub Install [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am just getting ready to frame the basement for a bathroom and have a few questions. We just recently had our house built and had 2 rough in's put into the basement that empty into a pit that has a grinder pump attached to it. Nothing is currently using the grinder pump, the first...

View more questions Search