Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NoMowing Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2006, 01:46 PM
    Will Fan Fall? And Wobble...
    FINALLY finished installing a ceiling fan today (long story) and wanted to know if it could fall down. I accidentally over tightened the setscrew on the hanger ball while attaching it to the downrod and the screw head broke off. There was about 1/16 in. thread left on the piece I broke off and the remaining screw is flush against the hanger ball. Should I be concerned about the screw coming loose over time and the fan falling? At least I can get the screw out if it does if I catch it before falling.

The fan is wobbling too much for my taste and wondering if it can do damage to anything over time. I've checked the outlet box, hanger bracket and downrod connections to the motor coupling and don't see any loose connections. In fact, the downrod on the ceiling end looks like it isn't budging but the fan blade area is moving. Will check to see that all connections are tight but not enough to cause my first problem. Next step? Swap out two adjacent blades until I find the problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: Added links to vid clips if anyone is interested.

http://sec-tech.org/Documents/Fan-1.avi

http://sec-tech.org/Documents/Fan2a.wmv
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2006, 08:20 PM
    First of all, don't worry about the set screw. That shouldn't be what holds the ball to the downrod, there is a metal cross rod that does that. If you don't have the metal cross rod installed you SHOULD worry!

Second of all, the fan blades need to be balanced to keep it from wobbling. Here are instructions:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/b...ing-issues.php

Jul 2, 2006, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    First of all, dont worry about the set screw. That shouldnt be what holds the ball to the downrod, there is a metal cross rod that does that. If you dont have the metal cross rod installed you SHOULD worry!

Second of all, the fan blades need to be balanced to keep it from wobbling. Here are instructions:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/b...ing-issues.php

ceilingfanrepair,

Thanks for reply and link. The pin is set in the hanger ball and should do it's job. I was just a little concerned about the set screw... think I'll let it be.

Didn't have time to work on the wobble last night but do know and checking back on answers before trying the "process".

Thanks again.

Tried swapping blades and noticed little to no difference. Strange thing is that I would measure blade tips to ceiling and sometimes one or two blades would be off +/- 1/2" from ceiling. Then I would swap them and things looked better and sometimes not. Doesn't look like I can safely bend the flanges because they look like they can snap easily. I already overdid it with the set screw, then a shower head yesterday... my luck can't be any better.

Tried the balancing kit process and before I peeled the backing and stuck one of the weights on (used the tool for testing) I decided to tape one down. Used the tool on another blade then it dawned on me that I'm using the fan to pull air up and not down according to the instructions. I reversed the fan to clockwise and the fan wobbles more in that direction. That is the direction I need.

Does this mean I have to retest in that direction? Will I be fixing only one side of the problem? This is a long process and about to call it quits because of the time it is taking.

Anyone?:confused:
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2006, 08:52 PM
    Did you follow the balancing instructions? You can bend the brackets but you have to be very careful, do it in small amounts at a time.

I usually balance a fan in the downdraft direction.

OK I just watched your video clips for the first time, I don't see any wobbling.

Jul 4, 2006, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    Did you follow the balancing instructions? You can bend the brackets but you have to be very careful, do it in small amounts at a time.

I usually balance a fan in the downdraft direction.

OK I just watched your video clips for the first time, I dont see any wobbling.

ceilingfanrepair,

Yes, followed the instructions and ended up using a total of two weights on two adjacent blades with very little wobble. The directions in my kit had me find the blade with the least wobble and then retest at different points along that blade (I chose five). Then I had to try another blade and repeat until the wobble was gone or as good as it was going to get. It was a long process, but I am happier now. I have to stare at the fan to notice the slight wobble now, even in both directions.

I balanced it downdraft and then tested and corrected for both directions. The reason I am blowing air up in the summer is because I have a loft area that gets extremely hot and stuffy. It was pretty bad heat wise when I was installing this fan at ~13ft. Too (the ceiling slopes up higher into the loft area). This is the only reason I got the fan, although it does make the room below look better. Using the fan to blow air down did very little to correct the loft's problem, and my wife complained that it was too "cold" downstairs (which it normally is and have not had any problems with it being warm downstairs). When I reversed the fan to blow air up at full speed, we immediately felt comfortable in the loft area and can enjoy the hot summer days again upstairs. There is also a pleasant draft downstairs now but not a "cold" one like the one my wife felt with the fan blowing down.

It will be interesting this winter when I try bringing some heat into the downstairs since the loft gets too hot at times. Maybe I'll have to push it down in my situation.

Thanks again for your assistance and have a great 4th of July!
    :)
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMowing
    I have to stare at the fan to notice the slight wobble now, even in both directions.
    This is a normal amount for any fan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fall from Grace for Lucifer [ 4 Answers ]

What book of the Bible discusses how and why Lucifer angel decided to go out on his own: what is the basic summary of what happened? Does the Bible describe this angel as the top angel and how was it that he decided to stray from God's word? It's a little confusing, as heavan and angels are...

Scary fall :( [ 31 Answers ]

Ugh I slipped and fell down about 4 stairs last night, didn't really hurt myself badly, but I went into early labour! (I am just at 7 months right now) So, Alex rushed me to the hospital and they were able to stop the labour. I am apparently fine, although I am supposed to take it easy now, and...

Hair Fall -- Baldness [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I'm of 26 years and unfortunately ,suffering with dandruff and hair fall and slowly leading to bald head. I would like to know the vitamin supplements to avoid the hair fall.. Which vitamin could help in prevention and what are the fruits, vegetables etc where we can find a good...

Stucco continues to fall off [ 2 Answers ]

On the North side of my house the stucco continues to fall off. I had the whole house restuccoed 4 year ago and since then I've had 4 different companies try to repair. The area is approx 12 x 15 where the stucco won't stick. There used to be a water softener on that side of the house where a...

View more questions Search