Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slee1234 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Are contributions to a foreign pension fund tax deductible?
    Hi and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone,

This is a question about pension funds in a foreign country eg: UK or Canada.

If a US citizen or permanent resident is employed in a foreign country and he is contributing to the foreign company's pension fund, can he claim his contributions as tax deductible like a traditional IRA in the US?

Thanks for any advice,
    Sam
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Sam:

Sorry. Contributions to a foreign pension plan are not deductible on your U.S. tax return.

They may be deductible on the UK/Canadian tax returns, though.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 06:53 PM

Under the U.K.-U.S. Treaty, if you already have a U.S. retirement plan, you may be able to make contributions to the U.S. retirement plan and have them deductible for U.K. purposes. See Article 18, paragraph 2.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Dec 2, 2008, 12:11 PM

You need to handle this really carefully. You could run into a PFIC situation very easily if you are contributing to a foreign IRA type plan.

If it is strictly a pension plan then I think you would be safe from the PFIC rules but if you manage it like an IRA/401(k) type arrangement and are investing in foreign mutual funds then I think you'd run afoul of the PFIC rules which could be very costly.

I'd like to hear IntlTax's thoughts on this.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Dec 2, 2008, 12:59 PM

There are all sorts of issues with a foreign retirement plan that is similar to an IRA for U.S. citizens and residents. First, the plan would be a trust that would be subject to the foreign trust reporting requirements (see Form 3520 and 3520-A). Second, constructive receipt rules would apply to cause the income earned by the trust to be immediately taxed to the beneficiary. Third, as you point out, if the trust owns foreign mutual funds they could be considered PFICs (the trust itself would not be a PFIC because it is not a corporation). There are likely other issues as well. After these rules are considered, any treaty analysis would need to be overlayed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K deductible contributions? F1-OPT [ 12 Answers ]

I am currently under H1B since November 2006 and F1 doing OPT before that. During 2005 I was a teaching assistant while still in school so I used form 1040 NR EZ for my taxes. During 2006 I have contributed to the 401K in my company so I understand I should use 1040NR to be able to deduct these...

Transfer uk Pension into 401K Fund [ 2 Answers ]

I have 33000 GBP with a uk pension provider. I am non resident for uk tax as I work offshore Gulf of Thailand. Can I transfer this money into a 401K fund and if so what would be my tax exposure?

Safety of 1199 pension fund [ 2 Answers ]

Someone emailed me a few months ago to say that although it was illegal for unions To invest in junk bonds, they are investing is something that comes close to that and That eventually I can lose my pension. He encouraged me to find out what my Union was investing in to keep our money safe and...

401 K & Pension Fund Early Withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I left my company and have a rather small 401K and a small pension. I am eligible to withdrawal the money and I am contemplating it to pay off some debt. I know 20% will be withheld at the time of the withdrawal. I also know I will have a 10% penalty. Will I have to pay additional taxes on...

View more questions Search