Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nelson12 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 09:46 PM
    My puppy going in heat
    Well first off my puppy was born in May of 2008 and I was wondering if anyone had any information about when dogs start to go into heat (or whatever you want to call it) because personally I want to be ready for this. My last dog was a male so I didn't have to deal with any of this. So any experienced dog owners have any information on when this will start and when it does, what will I have to do for my dog?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 09:52 PM

Is there a reason you're not having her spayed? It prevents a lot of health risks down the road. I've actually never had a dog when she went into heat because we always had our puppies spayed... Sorry I'm not any help. I'm sure someone will be around to help you.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Dec 1, 2008, 09:56 AM

It varies dog to dog, but the average time is 6 to 8 months. It can be sooner for smaller breeds and later for large and giant breeds. Heat cycles vary, but average two to three weeks for most dogs. You will notice swelling, after a few days a bloody discharge varying in amount from dog to dog, and she will pay a lot of attention to her rear end. Once the discharge becomes clearer she will be in the prime of her heat and most ready to breed. She will also pee a lot more then usual while in heat. You will want to get her fixed before hand, or make very sure to not let any males near her for at least three weeks.
    bullylover Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Dec 1, 2008, 11:42 AM

My dog just went in her first heat she's 10 months and its gross I got blood in my backseat I'm going to get her spayed
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 2, 2008, 12:37 PM

Nelson12, did you know that getting a female dog spayed before her first heat can lower the risks of cancer later on?

Most vets will recommend that you spay your dog between 4 and 6 months of age. This is for the health and temperament of the dog.

If you would like more info I'd be more than happy to provide it for you.

Good luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2008, 08:01 PM
    Yes, get her spayed now, before she comes into heat. Unless you are planning on all the work of being a responsible breeder, get her spayed.

The second and third weeks are when the most risk of accidental breeding is. Don't take this lightly. She will do anything to get loose and get to a male. Once loose, an accidental breeding and an unwanted litter is far from the worst that can happen. Such breedings can also result in fatal infections. She can get killed when she dashes heedlessly across the road in front of a car. Other dogs or coyotes may kill her.

You can expect the same thing about every 6 months for the rest of her life if you don't get her spayed. There is no other answer, and no good reason not to. Besides saving the hassles, it reduces the chances of cancer later in life. Please make life easier for yourself, her, and society in general by getting her spayed as soon as a vet will do it.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 4, 2008, 08:47 PM

Nelson12, Will you please listen to the above posters and have your dog spayed. Besides the cancer and other health risks, your dog will be much easier to train.

If you are even thinking about breeding her, will you please watch this video first? :)

(just click on the link under my name at the top of the thread)

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/p...rs-285842.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy trying to go back home? Puppy Attatchment? [ 8 Answers ]

http://bp2.blogger.com/_FAAhWpUtQZk/RuRyYXJT6-I/AAAAAAAAABE/oFHBuJrtsyU/s1600-h/buddahs.jpg Photo can also be seen at buddahs.jpg (image) Above a photo of Johnny Cash (jack russell mix). Someone gave me this dog mid August when she was 2 months old. I had her from mid August till the end of...

My Puppy is in Heat and is Scheduled to be Spayed [ 5 Answers ]

Hi my little baby Roxy is scheduled to get spayed next week and I am super nervous... I was wondering if I need to be home with her the next day when after surgery. I am scheduled to work Friday and her surgery is on Thursday... Also she is currently in heat and I don't think she will be finished...

Puppy on Heat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old Dachshund puppy who has just gone into heat. I have a 2-year old male Dachshund. I am trying to prevent her from getting pregnant this young. I was just informed by a friend that it is dangerous for a dog to get pregnant on their first heat-cycle. If she does get pregnant,...

When will my female puppy Italian Greyhound come into heat? [ 3 Answers ]

I asked a potty training question the other day and I had a couple of very helpful responses. Thank you for helping me on that subject! The next question I have is about my female Italian Greyhound coming into heat the first time. She is 7 months old and my male is 10 months old. He seems to be...

View more questions Search