Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larwinters Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Dimension from back wall for new toilet
    When installing the riser for a new toilet, how far should it be on center from the back finish wall?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Average toilet installs at 11.5 to 12.0 inches from the finished wall surface to the center of the toilet flange/bolts. (do not measure from the baseboard... measure from the wallboard/tile).

I rough mine in at 11.5"... but NO LESS!!

Good luck...

MARK
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 08:04 PM

You need to select your toilet first. They come in different dimensions, 12" is the most common but you can get 10" or 14" too. Mark's answer should cover 90% of all installs but select the fixture first.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 1, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Both good answers. Let me add my two cents. Mark says,
    Average toilet installs at 11.5 to 12.0 inches from the finished wall surface to the center of the toilet flange/bolts. (do not measure from the baseboard... measure from the wallboard/tile) I rough mine in at 11.5"... but NO LESS!
    Mark's answer's bang on. Unless you special order it your average toilet has a 12" rough in. When we are puitting the drainage in the ground I rough in at 12" off the string to center. That gives me 11 1/2" off the finished wall. So once more Mark and I agree. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Back to back toilet flushes in to the other toilet? [ 2 Answers ]

Confused:Hi Mark, hope you can help me here, I am having problems with back to back toilets in a bathroom & ensuite, when one toilet is flush the other toilets waste does not enter the other toilet, but dis-coloured water does if you understand what I mean, could it be that the stench pipe needs a...

Need to replace toilet, rough-in 20" from the wall, toilet has four mounting holes [ 3 Answers ]

In a nutshell, we need to replace our existing toilet. However, the toilet has a rough-in of about 20"+ to the closet flange and the toilet has four mounting holes on the base. The toilet is connected to the closet flange via the front two holes (and nothing in the back two holes). I bought the...

How can I tell my toilet rough in dimension [ 1 Answers ]

Can I determine the rough in dimension (10in, 12in or 14in) for my toilet without removing the toilet to measure to the CL of the drain hole?

Toilet too far from wall [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet is too far from the wall. There is almost a 2 1/2" gap between the back of the cistern and the wall. The toilet is on a marble floor and there is a marble baseboard that is about 1" thick. The toilet I currently have has a 12" rough-in (the space from the center of the bolts to the...

Any latitude in the rough-in dimension for a toilet? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a 2-piece Toto toilet with a rough-in dimension of 12 inches to replace an existing 2-piece Kohler toilet. The dimension from the face of the tile that subsequently got added to the wall is presently at about 11-1/2 inches to the center of the bolts holding down the toilet. ...

View more questions Search