Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Nov 30, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Netgear DG834 firmware
    Hello I am very confused. I live in the UK and I am just wondering what kind of firmware I should be downloading for my router. On the netgear support there are different ones, what one should I be downloading and using?

• Version 4.01.40 (for outside NA)
    Sep 5, 2007

• Version 4.01.37 (for outside NA)
    Mar 24, 2008

• Version 4.01.30 (for outside NA)
    Sep 5, 2007

• Version 4.01.28 (for UK)
    Version 4.01.27 (for outside NA & UK)
    May 31, 2007

• Version 4.03.04 (for North America)
    Version 4.01.06 (for UK)
    Version 4.01.04 (for outside NA & UK

Also I have just noticed that at the bottom there are downloads for compatibility with windows vista, my laptop has vista it works with the router however I have problems with conenction in the evening could this be a reason to do with it? This is the link to these downloads NETGEAR Product compatibility for Microsoft Windows Vista would downloading this stop my problems?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Nov 30, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologisenow View Post
    Hello i am very confused. I live in the UK and i am just wondering what kind of firmware i shud be downloading for my router. On the netgear support there are different ones, what one should i be downloading and using?

• Version 4.01.40 (for outside NA)
    Sep 5, 2007

• Version 4.01.37 (for outside NA)
    Mar 24, 2008

• Version 4.01.30 (for outside NA)
    Sep 5, 2007

• Version 4.01.28 (for UK)
    Version 4.01.27 (for outside NA & UK)
    May 31, 2007

• Version 4.03.04 (for North America)
    Version 4.01.06 (for UK)
    Version 4.01.04 (for outside NA & UK

Also i have just noticed that at the bottom there are downloads for compatability with windows vista, my laptop has vista it works with the router however i have problems with conenction in the evening could this be a reason to do with it? This is the link to these downloads NETGEAR Product compatibility for Microsoft Windows Vista would downloading this stop my problems?
    I suspect that the date on the first item is a typo. The difference between the first three is version and release dates. If you are in the UK then get the latest version appropriate for your region. It looks like 4.01.40 (for outside NA) is the one.

Dec 1, 2008, 03:27 AM
    Okay thanks I just wasn't sure if I should be downloading just the UK ones but Outside NA makes sense. Lastly with the vista compatibility at the bottom of my first post do I need to do anything about this? Because my laptop which has vista works fine with it I just have a problem in the evening where my internet freezes sometimes and I have to reboot my router. Any ideas? Thanks.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Dec 1, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologisenow View Post
    Okay thanks i just wasn't sure if i shud be downloading just the UK ones but Outside NA makes sense. Lastly with the vista compatability at the bottom of my first post do i need to do anything about this? Because my laptop which has vista works fine with it i just have a problem in the evening where my internet freezes sometimes and i have to reboot my router. Any ideas? Thanks.

The version of the operating system you are running should have no bearing on the router firmware unless there are some no features that are compatible with Vista. The newer firmware will provide the latest features offered by the router manufacturer. It may be a little bit easier to use GUI for the setup or maybe just a little minor fix. But the basic function of the router is to route traffic from one network to another - i.e.. To/from your LAN from/to the Internet.

The added on features are going to be things like firewall capabilities, filtering, anti-virus protection, port redirection, wireless access points, security, etc.

Dec 1, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Do you think this will sort my problem out of my internet freezing occasionally in the evening?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creative zen sleek firmware [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a creative zen sleek v0.0.7 with a firmware problem and when I turnit on it comes up with recovery mode and a list to choose from 1. clean up 2. format all 3. reload firmware 4. reboot I've tried clean up and format all and rebooted after each But when I select reload firmware it...

Firmware for mp3 player [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a creative zen sleek v0.0.7 with a firmware problem and when I turnit on it comes up with recovery mode and a list to choose from 1. clean up 2. format all 3. reload firmware 4. reboot I've tried clean up and format all and rebooted after each But when I select reload firmware it...

PSP Firmware restore. How? [ 3 Answers ]

My son bought a used PSP version 1.5. Since the previous owner left some junks into the BIOS/Firmware, he tried to clean it up and probably by accident remove too much stuffs. Now the PSP won't come up, when he power it up, the power light (green) come up, but nothing on the screen, after...

Firmware for OS 8.6 [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to upgrade system OS8.6 to OS9.2. When I click the install icon the computer tells me my firmware needs to be updated & I can find this in the CD Extras folder. When I look for it it isn't there. I have tried to find the firmware update in the internet but aren't having any luck. Help...

View more questions Search