Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ann123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Calculating present value
    If John Doe invests in a stock that will pay dividends of $2.00 at the end of the first year; $2.20 at the end of the second year; and $2.40 at the end of the third year. He also thinks that at the end of the third year he will be able to sell the stock for $33. What is the present value of all future benefits if a discount rate of 11% is applied?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 07:55 AM

This is clearly a howework problem. Rather than asking us to do your homework for you, please post what you think the answer is and how you got it, and then someone will be glad to check it for you. But to get you started - to calculate the PV of a payment you expect to receive in the future you use:

FV = PV*(1+i)^n

If you expect a $2 payment in 1 year, then the future value (FV) = $2, I = .11, and n= 1 year. So now you can find its present value (PV). Do a similar calculation for each of the dividend payments plus the final sale of stock, and add them up. Can you take it from here?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Present for a new guy. [ 2 Answers ]

I am seeing this one guy and his Birthday is coming up. Since this is new to both of us, I was wondering what I should get him for his Birthday. I don't want to go all out, just something cute and thoughtful. Any ideas? Thanks! :)

Present Value [ 3 Answers ]

Jack Hammer invests in a stock that will pay dividends of $2.00 at the end of the first year; $2.20 at the end of the second year; and $2.40 at the end of the third year. Also, he believes that at the end of the third year he will be able to sell the stock for $33. What is the present value of all...

Net Present Value [ 1 Answers ]

Your company plans to acquire one of two assets. Asset A costs $162,500, and has expected annual cash savings of $37,500. Asset B costs $225,000, and has expected annual cash savings of $77,500. You'll use straight-line depreciation for both assets over their estimated useful lives of 5 years,...

View more questions Search