Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richardg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Identifying a bank draft
    Sold my house to an a joining property housing a church for a small sum of money so turned everything over to church attorney to handle. Just received the final papers and a check drawn from an escrow account of the attorney and it appears to be a regular check. My question is, is there a positive marking identifying a bank draft over a regular check and if it is a bank draft can I go to the issuing bank and cash it on demand?
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 12:39 PM

I work at a bank and typically the easiest way we identify a "draft" is if somewhere on the check it has the words "payable through".

We do not cash drafts at all. The reason for this is because to many times a stop payment is issued. So we require that drafts be deposited.

If it is not a draft, you should be able to go to the issuing bank and cash it. If you aren't an account holder there, more than likely there is a fee for cashing the check. And depending on the amount of the check, you should have two valid forms of id ready.

The best bet is to deposit it, don't touch the money until it is in your collected balance.
    richardg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NowWhat View Post
    I work at a bank and typically the easiest way we identify a "draft" is if somewhere on the check it has the words "payable through".

We do not cash drafts at all. The reason for this is because to many times a stop payment is issued. So we require that drafts be deposited.

If it is not a draft, you should be able to go to the issuing bank and cash it. If you aren't an account holder there, more than likely there is a fee for cashing the check. And depending on the amount of the check, you should have two valid forms of id ready.

The best bet is to deposit it, don't touch the money until it is in your collected balance.
    Thank you for your speedy answer and is does not say payable through any where on the check. Only thing is out of the ordinary is it says escrow account and from your opinion I'm inclined too think it a regular check. Am curious though why a bank would charge to cash a check issued through them from one of their account holders. Again thank you...
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 01:05 PM
    It doesn't always have to say "escrow account" to be valid.

As far as the check cashing fee, the bank is offering you the service. It has nothing to do with the account holder. Since you are a non-customer, there is a fee for that service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to draft a motion [ 2 Answers ]

How to draft a motion for the return of seized property.Is there a form/fee for it?

NBA draft [ 1 Answers ]

Okay say your in college right, and you want to go to the N.B.A. what are you suppose to do? Do you like get a agent? Or do you just try out? Anyone have a stable answer?

Return to the Draft? [ 39 Answers ]

Lt. Gen Douglas Lute, President Bush's new military adviser, said yesterday that because of frequent tours of duty for US soldiers in Iraq and Afghan, it is worth considering a return to the military draft. I saw some stats within the week that stated that a majority of soldiers in Iraq have...

Over draft [ 12 Answers ]

Hello my question Can the bank take money that is not in your account due to an order bieng sent to them from the courts. Then charge you that amount as over draft

Can a bank draft be cancelled by a bank if the purchaser is in default on a loan? [ 1 Answers ]

I had recently purchased a bank draft from a bank to which I owe a large sum of money. I'am overdue on the minimum payment and the bank has started to make noises about taking legal action. Due to some reason the recipient has not deposited the bank draft yet. Can the bank legally cancel the...

View more questions Search