Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larry1616 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Tub drain closes by itself
    I was wondering what would cause (a fairly new tub little over 2 years old) to make the tub drain handle go into the closed position so the tub fills with water? It will not stay open.

Thanks...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2008, 02:22 PM
    There's a spring that should be in p-lace behind the trip lever,(see image)that should hold the lever in a upright position. If the spring's broken or missing it will allow the plug to fall. The solution would be to purchase a bew face plate/trip lever, (see image) and connect the linkage and plug to it. Good luck, Tom
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 03:35 PM

This is another view, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Larry1616 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    There's a spring that should be in p-lace behind the trip lever,(see image)that should hold the lever in a upright position. If the spring's broken or missing it will allow the plug to fall. The solution would be to purchase a bew face plate/trip lever, (see image) and connect the linkage and plug to it. Good luck, Tom
    Ok thanks for the quick response.
    So to do this is it just a matter of removing the screws from the face plate? Then does the whole unit pull out? Or do I have to go messing with the pipes under the tub that contains this unit?

Thanks again...
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 04:55 PM

You should be able to access it through this face plate opening. No need to do anything with pipes. Proceed as Tom and John advised and you should be OK.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IE 7.0 closes automatically without warning [ 2 Answers ]

Of late while using IE, I find that suddenly without any warning, the browser window closes. I have WIN-XP, Professional installed. I have an anti-virus continuosly running & monitoring. No virus were found. The Registry is also being checked by Registry mechanic. Kindly advice remdial actions,...

Parent page closes [ 3 Answers ]

I am having a problem that just started and cannot figure this one out. I will click a link that opens in a new window and this works fine. However, from there I am having major problems. If I close the new window, the original page closes and the new page that I have tried to close turns into a...

Window closes automatically [ 3 Answers ]

What causes a window to close automatically when you are using the Internet?

Flapper closes to soon [ 4 Answers ]

I have a low flush toilet that has a problem. When you flush it instead of pushing the handle down and walking away you have to stand there and wait for the water to drain. I took the tank top off and looked in side. This is the kind of toilet that has the floater that is a cylinder on the input...

View more questions Search