Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yenot75 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Transfer Case 1996 Tahoe
    I've just replaced the transmission in a 96 Tahoe 4x4, 5.7ltr. I drained the transfer case when removing. Do I need to add fluid back to the transfer case or will the pump from the transmission pump it through the spacer into the transfer case?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 11:10 AM

The transfer cases I've seen need to be manually filled, usually with 2 quarts of ATF. I'm not familiar with your Tahoe, however.
    yenot75 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 01:39 PM

Thanks for your help... I found out that it does initially need to be filled and it holds 3.5 qts... The weep hole lets the fluid gradually flow back and forth as needed...
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 08:16 PM

Both transmission and differential use Dexron-III but the systems are desinged to be sealed from each other.
    The have significantly different operating parameters and service intervals, fill and drain styles. These are independent systems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lake Tahoe [ 1 Answers ]

So this is probably not the place to post this, but this came the closest to what I was wanting to find out. Feel free to redirect me. About 12 years ago, when I was a kid, my family went to Lake Tahoe. I believe we stayed on the Nevada side, but we were in a cabin pretty close to the lake....

Underage marriage in Reno-Tahoe [ 1 Answers ]

How do we get married if were under age?

To Assambly an old Peerless transfer case, [ 1 Answers ]

Excuseme my English. I wanto to know how or where can I get a simple page shown the componenents of this old tranfer case, a Peerless transaxle model 920005A--9093 0924, that is mounted on a MURRAY Tractor, 11 hp, 36 " cutter gras. (Model Tractor: 9-36561 x 20 -6 speed transaxle) I´m not sure...

View more questions Search