Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 10:15 PM
    Do you have ceiling fan running ?
    phanna Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 10:15 PM

VolklGuy - no basement here, nor a tornado shelter. Very unstable ground though. It's called black gumbo.

Nov 29, 2008, 10:17 PM

Milo - nothing is running right now except this computer and the refrigerator. Noise is not coming from the refrigerator. I have no fans on, nor am I running either heating system. Tonight we went outside and shut off the septic system altogether. The noise continued.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 10:21 PM
    Phanna:
    First, try to find out whether the noise / vibration is the loudest on the outside or inside the house. Wait until late night, walk outside and around the house. Listen carefully. Try to locate the loudest spot. If negative, or less loud than go inside your house. Make sure all appliances are turned off. Walk from room to room including service closet, laundry, kitchen, also attic... Try to find the loudest location. Get back to us letting us know what you found out...

Btw: fridge has its own coil. Coil vibrates. If fridge too close to the wall, it can be touching angle stop supplying water to the ice-maker making it to vibrate.

Nov 29, 2008, 10:29 PM
    Milo - I've done this many times. I cannot hear the noise anywhere outside the house. I've gone out there at 1 am, 3 am, 4 am, 7 am on many days. The noise is the loudest at the west end of my house where my master bedroom and bath are. The septic system is right outside that area. My A/C and heat units are located outside the house, one at each end of the house. I have no service closet. I can't hear the sound in my utility room. The noise is not being generated from any appliance (fridge, water heaters, freezer). I've even unplugged my high-speed satellite. That's not it. My daughter sat in a chair in my bedroom and said she felt like she could feel vibration at her feet and could hear a low noise, yet if I put my ear to the wall, floor, windows or furniture I don't feel any vibration. Even put water in a wine glass and set it on different surfaces to see if I'd notice any kind of ripple... didn't.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 10:32 PM

Phanna: Is your bedroom wall an exterior wall ? If positive, go outside and tell me what is behind that wall. ( like: garden hose valve, sprinkler valves, A/C fan, etc )
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 10:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phanna View Post
    Milo - I've done this many times. I cannot hear the noise anywhere outside the house. I've gone out there at 1 am, 3 am, 4 am, 7 am on many days. The noise is the loudest at the west end of my house where my master bedroom and bath are. The septic system is right outside that area. My A/C and heat units are located outside the house, one at each end of the house. I have no service closet. I can't hear the sound in my utility room. The noise is not being generated from any appliance (fridge, water heaters, freezer). I've even unplugged my high-speed satellite. That's not it. My daughter sat in a chair in my bedroom and said she felt like she could feel vibration at her feet and could hear a low noise, yet if I put my ear to the wall, floor, windows or furniture I don't feel any vibration. Even put water in a wine glass and set it on different surfaces to see if I'd notice any kind of ripple ... didn't.
    Ok, it is a good start. Lets concentrate on the Master Bath: any dripping faucet, shower head, tub spout ? Also, do you have hot water circulating pump ? ( in other words: do you have to wait long time for hot water or do you get hot water almost immediately after you turn on your faucet ? ) How about toilet: no leaks ? Meaning into the tank and or bowl ?

Nov 29, 2008, 10:37 PM

Milo - wall is exterior wall. Next to it is one AC/heat unit, garden hose valve, septic system controls, sprinker system cellinoid (sp?) box in ground.

Nov 29, 2008, 10:40 PM
    Milo - had FOUR plumbers out here last week. No leaking anything; checked all the toilets, baths, sinks, showers. I have two water heaters at the other end of the house (one serving each end of the house). I do have to run water for a while before I get hot water.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 10:43 PM

Do this:

1. Cut off water supply into the sprinkler system. Wait 1/2 hour. See if the noise continues or if it is lower then before.

2. Than, you can also turn water off for the entire house at the curb cutting water service into the house. Go to your bathroom and open h/c water valves to relieve pressure. Again, see if the noise persists.

This way we can at least eliminate plumbing / water problem.

Do you have a booster pump as part of your plumbing system ?

Nov 29, 2008, 11:06 PM

Milo - I'll have to try this tomorrow and ask my son to come up here and do that for me as I don't know how to cut the water supply to the sprinkler system. When the plumbers were out here last week they did cut the main supply off, but didn't turn off the h/c water valves. I can try that tomorrow too when I get some help. I sure do appreciate your trying to help me with this. This whole deal is taking its toll on me... no sleep and kind of like being tortured with that constant pulsating jab of noise.
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 11:31 PM

Understand... and sorry for asking so many "annoying" questions. I am just trying to eliminate potential problem after problem so I get better picture of your house.

But I must add: usually, it is some stupid thing causing the problem. That's why it is being constantly overlooked. We will continue tomorrow. I am sure we will find it then...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2008, 05:20 AM
    The problem may be caused by the ballcock trying to fill while water is seeping out of the tank. The sound you hear is the washer vibrating against the seat of the ballcock. First check there linkage between the flapper and the flush lever. It should have 1/4" of play when your tank is filled. The water level should be 1/2" below the white overflow tube after the tank's filled. Next feel the flat side of your flapper. Does it have wavey edges? Do your hands come away black? Replace it if it does. And last check the seat itself. Any nicks or rough spots? If so click on back. There are replacement seats that glue right over the old one and are easy to replace. One of the above should take care of your howling. This happened in a new house some years ago. Only at night and in the early morning. They thought the house was haunted and were about to move out. I caught it in the powder room toilet. It would vibrate and the pipes in the wall would pick it up and carry it all over the house.
    One more thing. This could also happen if the ballcock kicking on every time you shut vff a faucet. To check this out remove the lid and open and shut the shower valve real fast while watching the float ball. If it bobs up and down you have located the source of the problem. It is a sort of water hammer and you don't recharge your air chambers by simply dramning the system. It's more complicated then that. Let me explain.Back in the 60's we were required to to put air chambers on all bath lavatories and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will began to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them in a two bath home. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill. Hope this helps you out and thanks for rating my reply. TOM

Nov 30, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Speedball - Thank you for all the suggestions. I'm going to have to have my son come up and do this for me. You and a couple other folks there have been so helpful. I'll keep you all posted on if this works. Can't afford to move, but this noise is about to get me to take up residence at a funny farm!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mysterious hum in the house [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It doesn't appear to be. Checked HVAC for vibrations and couldn't pinpoint any obvious problem. ...

Mysterious hum in the house [ 25 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It's not. The noise does sound like a "fog horn" going off several blasts at a time and the noise level...

Mysterious humming noise in the house [ 113 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It's not. The noise does sound like a "fog horn" going off several blasts at a time and the noise level...

Mysterious hum in the house [ 1 Answers ]

View more questions Search