Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tharbour Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 08:06 PM
    220 volt spa
    Hi we are buying a used 220 volt spa for therapy for sick child and we do not have a handy 220 outlet to plub it into. What is the easiest and cheapest and fastest way to get it working. Converting to a 110v, using a converting transformer, buying a really long 220v piggy back and running it into the laundry room or what? Thanks for your help!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2008, 11:49 PM

I know your anxious, but you need to be safe also.

SPA's do require a large amount of power and they need to be safely wired. If it has a SPA kit attached to it, it will have a GFCI or Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter included. This prevents potentially lethal shocks should something go wrong. GFCI breakers are sometimes used in lieu of the SPA kit.

The SPA most likely requires a 4-wire setup. Outlets with this configration may or may not exist in your house.

I don't know the power requirements nor the service required, nor the location of the SPA.

Electric stoves and Electric Dryer plugs MIGHT have the right service requirements, but a GFCI breaker may not play well with a dryer. Many of these are 3 wire.

It doesn't take much effort to do it right.

I can almost 99% guarantee that a 120 to 240 volt transformer will not work because of the power involved and besides the transfomer would be expensive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

Assemble a 220 volt outlet from two 110 volt circuits [ 5 Answers ]

I need help making a temporary 220 volt outlet cord. I have the female 220 v receptacle and two extension cords. I need this to connect a window AC. The electrician cannot come until mid next week. It is very hot here. He told me to put one these cords together for a temporary fix. He warned...

3 phase 208 volt/120 volt .load [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a commercial espresso machine which has a 220 line. My existing electrical box is a 3 phase 208 volt/120 volt. Would this be sufficient to handle this?? Thank you

Replacing a 240 volt outlet with a 120 volt oulet [ 1 Answers ]

We've switched to a central air conditioning system and no longer need the 240 volt outlet by the dining room window. The house was built in 1928, updated in 1957, and again a couple of ad hoc times thereafter. The wiring is at times very old, brand new or somewhat old. My guess is that the 240...

View more questions Search