Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lousefer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 06:03 PM
    How to FIX a Broken offset cast iron flange?
    I have a broken offset cast iron flange, half of the ring is broken off and the other little notch on the other side is broken off too, it is flush with the tile flooring will I have to remove it, if so how? And what to replace it with and how?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2008, 06:26 PM

Hello Lousfer,

There all a lot of ways to Repair a broken toilet closet flange, open the link below will show you home to repair and there a lot of other repair kits. I hope this will help you, good Luck.

John

Replace Flange Under a Toilet: How to Repair a Toilet | eHow.com
    lousefer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    Hello Lousfer,

There all alot of ways to Repair a broken toilet closet flange, open the link below will show you home to repair and there a lot of other repair kits. I hope this will help you, good Luck.

John

Replace Flange Under a Toilet: How to Repair a Toilet | eHow.com
    It is OFFSET and messed up pretty bad it is not like the video link that you provided, here is a picture of the flange.
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 09:14 PM

That video clip gives you general idea how to repair the ring.

In your case, get new "flange saver" ring, place it over the existing C.I. broken ring and attach it to it. You can utilize the two slots you still have available on your old ring. You can also drill holes to the concrete and screw new screws into plastic anchors or fresh epoxy.

You could even chisel the old ring out, buy exactly the same new ring and install it over the pipe. If you chose this approach, you will have to be bit handy and possess some basic tools.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 09:17 PM

I think the best thing that you could do is to replace the broken flange with a new offset flange. There are several ways to get the old flange off, one is if you take a chisel and start hammering the chisel right into the old flange right on the edge, what you are trying to do is to crack the old flange, once you do it is a matter of keep spreading the crack until you can pull the old flange and the lead ring up and off the pipe. Putting the old one back can be done with oakum and lead wool, pack a rope of oakum into the slot between the pipe and the flange leaving about an inch below the pipe and then fill the rest of the slot with the lead wool packing it in with packing irons that you can buy or rent or maybe borrow from your friendly plumber. After you get the new flange on you can use anchors to hold the flange down if there is anything to anchor under it.
    Another way to get the flange off s to use a drill bit maybe 1/4 or 3/8's, use it to drill down into the lead until you cet a hole completely through the lead, then use a big screw driver to pry the lead ring out and twist and turn the old flange till it comes off. Then but the new one back on.
    If this info helps please let me know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Offset Closet Flange for Cast Iron? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My cast iron waste pipe centerline is 11 inches from the finished wall. It worked with my old toilet (since disposed of) but won't work for my new Kohler. Is there an offset for cast iron that is easy to install? BTW, the floor was tiled and the old closet flange had an extra flange as a...

Toilet Flange Offset or Replace Cast Iron Main with PVC? [ 1 Answers ]

Let me start by saying I am remodeling a small slab house in Englewood, FL. This cinder block house was built in 1950 and has a cast iron main sewer pipe under the toilet. I might add that I am not living in this house during the remodel. I am both new to remodeling and also new to this forum...

Flange bolts broke off in cast iron flange [ 7 Answers ]

After laying tile in a bathroom, we tried to remove two flange bolts from a cast iron flange, but the both broke off flush with the flange. They were too short to begin with, but now we can't even get them out. It's as if they're rusted in. What can we do?

Offset cast iron toilet flange [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling an early seventies ranch built on slab. One bathroom has an offset flange of cast iron. There is only one t-bolt slot, located on the offset side. There is no place for a t-bolt on the 'close' side. The flange does not appear to be damaged, although there was a lot of rust that I...

Cast iron toilet flange the bolt holes will not hold how do we fix it and the flange [ 1 Answers ]

We have a cast iron flange and the bolt holes are not useable can we cut off the top and add a new plastic flange

View more questions Search