Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeanCB9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Connecting hdtv, cable, dvr/vhs combo recorder
    I have connected our Sony hdtv to Comcast cable box with hdmi cord (input hdmi1 )
    And a dvd/vhs recorder (SONY RDR-VXD655) via hdmi cord. (input hdmi 2)

I also connected the recorder to cable via the audio/video cord (red, yellow, white) cord (as manual directed) (as cable “tech” suggested I do) (Comcast Video Out, Dvd Recorder –Video Line 1 In)
    I was under the impression that all I needed were the hdmi cords for each (salesman pitch)

]Problem: Although I can play a dvd or a vhs when I use input #2.
    I CANNOT RECORD on either a dvd or vhs tape while watching a TV program.[/B](as I do (vhs only)with another Sylvania –hooked to a small analog TV.)

Any help you can provide will be appreciated. This is all very frustrating when I know there should be a simple solution.(ha) I don’t think the manual gives very precise/detailed directions
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2008, 04:24 PM

I think you may also have a problem in reading directions since you originally posted this in Forum Help which is only for questions about using this site. I moved this to the appropriate Forum for you.

The way you have it setup, you can only record what the settop box is tuned to. To record something different you would have to connect the cable BEFORE it goes into the cable box. But then you wouldn't be able to record scrambled channels.

You could, also, split the cable before the settop box and connect one end to the antenna input on the TV. Again, this will only allow you to view non scrambled channels while you record anything.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 08:11 PM

To do what you are wanting to do you would either need to have a two tuner inputs to the cable box or run the cable to a splitter as Scott indicated.
    TheDunker Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Feb 12, 2010, 10:03 AM
    Have any of you good but clueless 'folks' out there ever stopped to think how easy it is to put a tiny digital camera and mike in the cable box next to the sensor that picks up the signal from your remote and then feed that signal back up the cable? 'Big Brother' may already be watching and listening as we speak.
    TheDunker

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting DVD recorder to Satellite AND cable box [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new panasonic DVD recorder that I am trying to connect to both my Satellite box (for international channels) and my Charter Cable DVR. I have been trying to do this for over a week now and cannot get it to work properly with the Charter Cable DVR. I get the lower channels but not the HD...

Connecting my panasonic dvd recorder, direct TV hd receiver and my hdtv [ 5 Answers ]

I try to connect my hd TV, panasonic dvd recorder and hd receiver , but I couldn't , I want able to record programs in my dvd recorder.Can someone please help me step by step how to set done this. I have: Olevia lcd hdtv Connections: Hdmi Component s-video Rca

Connecting DVD recorder to dish hd box then HDTV [ 1 Answers ]

Want to connect phillips dvdr hard drive recorder to dish hd box and then to a sony bravia hdtv

View more questions Search