Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Vauxhall Vectra 1998 door lock.
    The locking mechanism has failed with the door shut, I have removed the door panel and found no problem with linkages. I am assuming this must be an actual lock problem but obviously with the door shut the lock cannot be removed. Does anyone have any solution? i.e. would removing the fuse for central locking enable me to open the door. Thanks.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 29, 2008, 03:55 PM

With power locks, once the system locks, nothing you do electrically will matter. The actuator has to be replaced. Pulling the fuse won't help.
    You cannot unlock the door manually with the inside lock knob? If not, you will need to feel around and try to find the lever that unlocks the door right at the lock mechanism.
    Once the door is open, replace the failed lock actuator.
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Nov 29, 2008, 06:01 PM
    I cannot get to it, that's the problem.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 07:50 PM

I have found in the past the careful examination of the functioning door on the other side will often leave clues as to the inner working's of the other door.
    Then, with a steady light and a stiff coat hanger or such, you can reach down from above the latch and undo most any door.

Patience.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vauxhall vectra rear door lock. [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 1998 2 litre vectra hatchback. One of the rear door locks has gone faulty i.e. will not operate manually with button up or down and neither on the central locking system. Could anybody be able to advise me on what the problem could be? Thanks.

'SAFE' message on Vauxhall Vectra? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Vauxhall vectra 1988 and over the weekend the battry completely died. I have now managed to charge it up and it is all working fine apart from the is a 'SAFE' message on the desh and the radio doesn't work, does anyone know what this is and how to fix it? Cheers

What is the name of this type of door lock? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there We have a door lock, exterior door, that I need to replace. There is one deadbolt, with a keyhole on the outside and a knob on the inside to lock/unlock... this one is unrelated to the one that needs replaced. The one that needs replaced has a keyhole on the outside, and a...

Door lock [ 1 Answers ]

My name is Bill -- just bought '98 Toyota Camry -- drivers' side door lock doesn't work -- other locks do work. Any ideas?

Vauxhall Vectra [ 5 Answers ]

I Have changed the engine on my 1998 Vauxhall Vectra 2.0L, if we connected the water hoses, the wrong way round on the throttle housing would this allow water into the engine? Or is there any other reason water could get into the engine, replacement engine has done 48.000 miles

View more questions Search