Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magnet987 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2006, 10:22 AM
    Bankruptcy & insurance settlement, inheritance
    I began the process of filing for bankruptcy - saw a lawyer, did the paperwork, paid him. I'm now in the process of doing the education certificate and other requirements.

My car was totaled two weeks ago, and the insurance company will be settling for the total loss -- it's not a huge amount, but there may be some small personal injury damages. In addition, I just learned that I may get a small inheritance.

What would happen to these amounts if I file now? My biggest concern is that I have to buy a car, because currently I have no transportation.

Thanks!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2006, 12:13 PM
    I'm finding that how and if insurance settlements affect a bankruptcy vary from state to state.

Since you're paying an attorney to do it right for you, definitely double check with him on both the insurance settlement and the inheritance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2006, 01:49 PM
    On the inheritance if you receive the money prior to the bankruptcy being discharged, it would have to be declared to the court, which depending on the amount may want it to pay on the debts you have. ( which of course is only right, since you are going to not pay a lot of people the money you owe them, they are entitiled to get what is available.

As stated the car insurance is a state by state issue, but as a norm, since the car would have been listed both as an assest and a debt and the debt on the auto would have had to be re-affirmed to continue it, if you were going to keep the car, taking this money and buying another car should have little effect since it can be explained.

But since you have an attorney who is ( or hopefully is) an expert on the subject in your state, set down and talk to him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Bankruptcy and life insurance [ 5 Answers ]

I know it is a weird combo. But if you claim corporate bankruptcy and you die can they go after your personal estate? If you have signed a personal guaranty? I heard they have to leave you(if not deceased) or your estate your house and a vehicle(in fla) is this true? Last question. Can they take...

Debt Settlement and Cash Inheritance [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the process of debt management for a relatively large amount of debt and still have a couple of years to complete the payoff. I am about to receive an inheritance larger than the debt. I can either have cash or real estate. Which would be the smartest to do?

Bankruptcy and cash inheritance [ 4 Answers ]

I filed bancrupty on 9/27/05 and will be receiving a cash inheritance around 1/20/06. Will my bankruptcy trustee be able to find out about this? If so, how will he get that information?

Settlement? [ 1 Answers ]

About 30mins ago I offered to settle my credit card debt with mbna. The mnba rep told me that if I settle my account for anything less than 100% of the balance it will show up negatively on my credit report. Is this true?

View more questions Search