Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ophil Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2006, 09:30 AM
    OS Win98SE
    Help!
    Unable to start windows, keeps going to C prompt, I have lost my floppy rescue disk. Can someone help me with this?
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 1, 2006, 05:53 AM
    Type "win" at the dos prompt, or find the exe file to start windows.
    Sounds like you should eventually upgrade to XP.

Jul 1, 2006, 06:14 AM
    Thanks shunned but I have tried Win already, even exit but same thing. I even tried to make a rescue disk with all that I could find on the net but there seems to be something missing in config.sys. I need to extract all my files before upgrading. Any other suggestions please.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2006, 07:15 AM
    Hi, ophil,
    I also use Win98SE, and love it!
    But, there are more problems with it than later operating systems, as another said.
    Since you can get to the C>, then at that prompt:
    Type in "scanreg /restore", without quotes. There is a space between the g and the /.
    It will look something similar to:
    C:>scanreg /restore then press Enter.
    You should get a Blue screen, maybe black, with choices with dates.
    Use the up and down arrows on the keyboard, to choose a date before today's date, maybe one 2 or 3 days ago.
    Then, press Enter.
    Your computer should then change your Registry to that previous date, and will give you a pop-up, which you click on "yes" or "ok".
    It should then go back to the C:> prompt.
    Then, reach over or down, and turn off your computer.
    Wait a few seconds, then turn it back on.
    If this doesn't work, please post back, and I have some other things to try.
    I keep my floppy boot disk in a special place, hoping to not have to use it!
    Best of luck, and I hope this does it for you. Please let me know, as I have some Maintenance Steps for 98/98SE that really keep my computer running smoothly (most of the time! LOL).

Jul 3, 2006, 03:45 AM
    Hi Fredg,

Thanks for your suggestion but that didn't work either. Windows 98 flashes once and goes back to c prompt. I also tried tapping F8 while booting up and from start up menu I can't get anywhere, same thing it goes back to C prompt. I tried WIN from C:\Windows and the message is that the Himem.sys is missing, I checked the directory and it's there! Any other sugestions? Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help.. computer froze during upgrade from win98se to ME [ 13 Answers ]

I was upgrading my old computer from win98se to windows ME and it was doing good then at 66% of install it froze so I turned it off then back on and now all I get is the message "this version of windows only run on ms-dos 8.00." then I get C:\> what happened and please tell me how to fix it! It...

Difference between windows 98 and win98SE? [ 1 Answers ]

If there's a big difference, can I buy a win98SE disc and sub it for my nasty winME?

Win98se cab file needed [ 4 Answers ]

I'm installing a USB card in my PC, all drivers are loaded, but I seem to have lost or misplaced my Win98se disk to compleat the install, can anyone help the file is: Base5.cab If anyone can help I would be so grateful.

Dual booting winxp and win98se [ 3 Answers ]

?How do I dual boot with winxp and win98se on separate harddrives? Itried it before and ran good for 2 days then I lost my 98, had to reformat the drive, right now I'm using a switch and I'm about to build another machine tomorrow and don't want to use the switch anymore because of some errors in...

View more questions Search