stacylittle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 11:40 PM
    Apartment Contracts
    Can you have two apartment contracts?
    Ferghus Posts: 97, Reputation: -4

Nov 29, 2008, 12:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stacylittle View Post
    If you have two, both signed and dated by the landlord and tenant... the newest one is the valid one.

If the newest one is only signed by the landlord, and not the tenent, then you should have gotten a written notice about it, which should be stated in your first lease. For instance, if the landlord is required to give a 7 day notice of any changes to the lease, sends you a certified letter stating the changes and 7 days later issues a new lease, it will be valid. He will have proof that he sent the required notice.

Helpful?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2008, 03:35 PM

Identical or does one supersede the other? A lease cannot be changed by either party during the term of the lease, if that's what you mean. Both parties must consent to the change.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferghus View Post
    If you have two, both signed and dated by the landlord and tenant... the newest one is the valid one.

If the newest one is only signed by the landlord, and not the tenent, then you should have gotten a written notice about it, which should be stated in your first lease. For instance, if the landlord is required to give a 7 day notice of any changes to the lease, sends you a certified letter stating the changes and 7 days later issues a new lease, it will be valid. He will have proof that he sent the required notice.

Helpful?

What State? If you are talking about during the term of the lease, it cannot be changed unless both parties agree. There is no "7 day notice of changes" and then the proposed "new" lease becomes binding. A lease is a written contract and one party cannot simply change it, notice or no notice.

If you are talking about a renewal, then it's different.

This is in the same category as your eviction advice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Can you expand on this more?

Do you mean two lease for the same apartment, same tenants and landlord or what?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 29, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferghus View Post

Helpful?
    Nope and not accurate either.

For changes to a lease to be valid BOTH parties have to agree to those changes. If a landord wishes to change the terms of an expiring lease for renewal, they can present a new lease for signature. The tenant then has the choice to accept (sign) or move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need contracts [ 2 Answers ]

I'm starting a cleaning business and was wandering how I go about getting some cleaning contracts help I don't know where to even look!

Rent Contracts in CA [ 1 Answers ]

I have rented a house in CA for 2 years. 1 year after the rent started I got an offer to relocate and I gave the landlord a notice that I might ask to leave the house before the end of the contract. Two weeks after the email I have sent the landlord my offered contract oversea was canceled. When I...

No contracts.. [ 4 Answers ]

My workplace is just getting quieter and queter. The boss has already got rid of someone as he isn't making enough money to cover his wages. He cut this guys wages, so he left. He was bascially trying to get rid of him. A lot of people are leaving and now there are only a few of us left. What...

Apartment contracts [ 10 Answers ]

We have lived in our apartment for 27 years. We have new owners and they want us to sign a new contract. The contract states that we will be financially responsible for all repairs due to the apartment and if repairs are not made that they have the right to take personal possessions from your...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search