Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amanda_99 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 09:05 PM
    How can a monogamous couple get chlamydia?
    My fiancé and I have been together since 2005 in a completely monogamous relationship. I was tested in 2006 for chlamydia and it came back negative. I was recently tested again and told I do have it. How is this possible if we have never been with anyone else since we got together in 2005? Was my test in 06 wrong? Is it possible he always had it and never gave it to me until now? We were not using protection, so shouldn't I have gotten it right away if he did have it before?

So confused...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 09:07 PM
    There is only one way to get this STD and it is through sex. Maybe you should talk to your boyfriend and make sure he is monogomous.

Nov 28, 2008, 09:16 PM

How wrong of you to assume that I have not asked my fiancé that question first of all. I am not some teenage idiot, I am a grown woman and understand how diseases are spread. Second of all, how is that helpful information? If you are going to post answers you should try to read the question. I didn't ask if anyone thought my fiancé was unfaithful, I asked if the test I took in 2006 could have been wrong or if the test they just did could have been. If you have an answer for that let me know. Otherwise your assumptions about peoples faithfulness should be kept to yourself.
    Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amanda_99 View Post
    How wrong of you to assume that I have not asked my fiancé that question first of all. I am not some teenage idiot, I am a grown woman and understand how diseases are spread. Second of all, how is that helpful information? If you are going to post answers you should try to read the question. I didn't ask if anyone thought my fiancé was unfaithful, I asked if the test I took in 2006 could have been wrong or if the test they just did could have been. If you have an answer for that let me know. Otherwise your assumptions about peoples faithfulness should be kept to yourself.
    You need to chill the attitude out a little. You are new here and don't know the rules. If you took a test in 2006 and it was negative, then it was negative, it does not take 2 years for symptoms to show up.

I am a registered nurse in the women's health field, so I KNOW about STDs.

Here is a quote from the CDC, since you won't listen to my answers.

Chlamydia can be transmitted during vaginal, anal, or oral sex. Chlamydia can also be passed from an infected mother to her baby during vaginal childbirth.
    Any sexually active person can be infected with chlamydia. The greater the number of sex partners, the greater the risk of infection. Because the cervix (opening to the uterus) of teenage girls and young women is not fully matured and is probably more susceptible to infection, they are at particularly high risk for infection if sexually active. Since chlamydia can be transmitted by oral or anal sex, men who have sex with men are also at risk for chlamydial infection.
    You can find all the correct medical info here... STD Facts - Chlamydia

Nov 28, 2008, 09:24 PM

I appreciate you trying to help however this is the same information I am finding everywhere. It does not answer my question. Assuming that we have both been monogamous is it possible that one of these tests were wrong? By the way I am going back to be tested again to be sure and my fiancé is getting tested as well.
    Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 09:30 PM
    I appreciate you trying to help however this is the same information I am finding everywhere.
    If it's the same information you are finding everywhere, it might be time to sit back and evaluate your relationship. Again, I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but there is only ONE way that this STD is transmitted.

It does not answer my question.
    I don't know how it doesn't answer your question. Apparently someone has not been monogomous, or, possibly as you suspect, the test may be wrong.

It is a good idea to get re-tested, have him tested as well. If you are still positive, and he is positive, then you have your answer.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 02:47 PM

The answer to your question of if the first test could have been wrong is YES. It could be wrong, as no test is 100% accurate. There are more cases of false negatives. A false positive is rare.

Hope this answers your question.

Now that you know, you need to seek treatment. It is easily treated, but if you don't you are looking at bigger problems.

Good luck to you.
    isonesexymom27 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 03:50 PM
    I'm sorry but like anyone else is saying there is only one way to get it ,you are just too much in love that you want to find another way of form of contracting this std :( but I don't blame you if I new I had this and my husband swears he hasn't done nothing I would just try to blame it on that public toilet I seat on last month with out cleaning it :o anything else but I would refuse to believe he had some kind of affair anything else that will not break my heart ;)just take some antibiotics and it will be gone and if you get it again you should have your answer there in the next months :cool:
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    If you took a test in 2006 and it was negative, then it was negative, it does not take 2 years for symptoms to show up.
    I was going to say maybe it took two years to come up.

I know hpv could take two years, wasn't sure about the clap.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 06:37 PM

Chlamydia is known as a "silent" disease because about three quarters of infected women and about half of infected men have no symptoms. If symptoms do occur, they usually appear within 1 to 3 weeks after exposure.
    In women, the bacteria initially infect the cervix and the urethra (urine canal). Women who have symptoms might have an abnormal vaginal discharge or a burning sensation when urinating. When the infection spreads from the cervix to the fallopian tubes (tubes that carry fertilized eggs from the ovaries to the uterus), some women still have no signs or symptoms; others have lower abdominal pain, low back pain, nausea, fever, pain during intercourse, or bleeding between menstrual periods. Chlamydial infection of the cervix can spread to the rectum.
    Men with signs or symptoms might have a discharge from their penis or a burning sensation when urinating. Men might also have burning and itching around the opening of the penis. Pain and swelling in the testicles are uncommon.
    Men or women who have receptive anal intercourse may acquire chlamydial infection in the rectum, which can cause rectal pain, discharge, or bleeding. Chlamydia can also be found in the throats of women and men having oral sex with an infected partner.
    If untreated, chlamydial infections can progress to serious reproductive and other health problems with both short-term and long-term consequences. Like the disease itself, the damage that chlamydia causes is often "silent."
    In women, untreated infection can spread into the uterus or fallopian tubes and cause pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). This happens in up to 40 percent of women with untreated chlamydia. PID can cause permanent damage to the fallopian tubes, uterus, and surrounding tissues. The damage can lead to chronic pelvic pain, infertility, and potentially fatal ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside the uterus). Women infected with chlamydia are up to five times more likely to become infected with HIV, if exposed.
    To help prevent the serious consequences of chlamydia, screening at least annually for chlamydia is recommended for all sexually active women age 25 years and younger. An annual screening test also is recommended for older women with risk factors for chlamydia (a new sex partner or multiple sex partners).
    STD Facts - Chlamydia

I looked this up because I was under the impression that if you are infected with an STD you pretty much know within a few days or weeks. So, 2 years from the original test peeked my curiosity. I guess that you could have either contracted this before you got together with your current boyfriend or he had it before. And neither of you knew.

Now that you do, I really hope you get treatment fast and that no serious complications occur.

Good Luck to you.
    matthews09 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2009, 04:22 AM

Your husband is cheating on you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chlamydia from hot tub? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, My boyfriend 's friends girlfriend told me she has an std and she hasn't had sexual contact with any but her boyfriend, and he says he has not cheated, so I was wondering if it was possible for someone to get an std if they had no sexual contact with any one other then their partner? Mainly...

Sewer gas smell a couple times a week. Last a couple of minutes, then gone. [ 2 Answers ]

We have a sewer gas smell in one of our lower bathrooms around 1 to 2 times a week. The smell only last for a couple of minutes, then it is gone. You can smell everything in the bathroom (toilet, air vent, shower) and it is simply in the air and nowhere else. When the smell happens, it is always at...

Chlamydia [ 8 Answers ]

I was just diagnosed with Chlamydia and am devastated!! I am married and have had the same partner for the past 6 years. Could I have had this and just not shown any symptoms before now? I was married before and he cheated on me and I left the relationship, but that was like 6 1/2 years ago! I...

Chlamydia [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have posted on here before regarding that my now ex partner had been receiving masturbation from prostitutes. My last pap smear two months ago showed that I have the hpv virus. I got my other tests back today and I also have chlamydia, for which my doctor has given me antibiotics. My ex...

View more questions Search