Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarge4350 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Tread depth
    How much more than the run is the tread depth?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 04:53 PM

What ever you need it to be,there is no set principal that I am aware of to dictate tread depth.

Riser height can also be a different height as well,although a 12" riser would be rather high.

Is this for outdoor or indoor steps?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 08:09 PM

Sounds like a test question, someone wasn't paying attention maybe? Most codes lay it at riser height of no more than 7 3/4 " and tread run of no less than 10 ". You can Google most of these questions and get fasrter answers than here at the AMHD.
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 2, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Sounds like a test question, someone wasn't paying attention maybe?? Most codes lay it at riser height of no more than 7 3/4 " and tread run of no less than 10 ". You can google most of these questions and get fasrter answers than here at the AMHD.
    This is right for most places but you need to look into what the code for your specific area says.
    shoproland Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Dec 5, 2008, 04:16 PM

I prefer the old 7-11 method. Using your framing square, make the rise 7 inches and the run 11 inches. This is a comfortable stair setup and a pair of 2x6s fit just right on the run for the treads.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2008, 08:41 AM

Ohio Residential Building Code requires at a minimum of 9" tread depth and a riser height of maximum of 8 1/4".
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2008, 04:56 PM

My code area here is one riser and two treads should be no less than 26" and no more than 28". Now the boga book of codes doesn't address the WE are getting Bigger. And so are our feet. I wear size 12 Now are codes varied on limited access steps. ( basment stairs) But I personally like 11.5 inches of tread and a 7 to 71/4 riser. I had a city inspector that was going to make put the odd riser at the top step Duh! Then another inspactor another job ext. said all the riser have to be equal including the bottom and the side walk in front sloped 1 inch. DUh! I said Cloumbus proved there earth was round ahhh Slope.Feet have memory. Odd step at botom the rest must be exact. Just 1/4 inch or so can trip a person after you start your climb..
    strub61 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2008, 12:46 PM

The tread depth is typically how many inches more than the run so that it sticks out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depth for setting post [ 3 Answers ]

How far down do I need to go when setting a 16 foot tall 8"x8" post?

Oral in depth [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend wants me to give him oral, and I'm not too sure how. I don't want to do anything wrong.

Concrete stair tread finish [ 3 Answers ]

I'm building an interior concrete stair and need tread finishing ideas. I would also like to incorporate a bullnose, and grooves as a non-slip pattern in the tread surface. I've not been able to find a edging tool to create the bullnose/groove combination. Any suggestions?

Molding on stairs where the tread meets the riser? [ 3 Answers ]

July 8, 2007 Thank you Esquire1, Stairman and Glavine for your responses, but please let me clarify. The staple marks are on the top side of the tread where it meets the riser, that is, they are on the part of the tread where you step when you go up and down the stairs. Your responses seemed...

Purchasing the right tread mill [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to purchase a treadmill. It would be for exercise and fun; I'm in shape and don't need to lose weight. What should I look for while shopping around? What's the difference between the motorized treadmills and the manual treadmills I've seen? Thanks.

View more questions Search