Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anbolic_dragon Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Nov 28, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Unable to decide on career
    Hi, I graduated high school not knowing what to do with my life.. my mother pressured me into going to college so I just decided on choosing crinimal justice. I got sick of school and only went for 2 years and got my associates degree. After that I still didn't know what to do so I got a job as a contractors assistant with a guy I know. Ive been doing that for that past 3 and a half years. I don't get steady days or hours wityh him but its OK money for the time being. I know I have to find something else to do with my life but I have no idea. A few things interest me but I would have to go back to school for them and they also don't have good money in there fields. I want a good job that doesn't involve going back to school for 4 years. I have thought about state police with ym degree but I would be shipped away from home and away from my mother and I don't want that right now. I know it can be a good career but for now its not what I want.. maybe the future but not now.Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2008, 02:39 PM

If it's of any consolation, I know people in their 40s that still don't know what they want to be when they "grow up." I think sometimes people get a job thinking it will just get them by until they decide what they want to do and they end up staying there longer than they had planned. That was the case when I was working at Menards. A lot of people there started there with the mind set that they can work there while going to school. That's what I did and it was a few years later that I finally found a job that I was interested in after I got my degree. Sometimes it takes time to decide what you want to do. If I were you I would take a few different classes at a community college just to see what interests you. You'll figure it out.
    alaotofan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 02:45 AM

Sometimes in life people don't just know what they want in life. But the earlier you disconver yourself the better for you. This is done through determination and some sacrifises even if those that loves you try to move you because if you fail on these three important keys, you will not say my parent or somebody tell me so. Remember your soul is what you are keeping and you own the final decision.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 05:18 AM

You know I want to play pro baseball, except I would have to practice and have talent.

First what you want to do for a living needs to be something you LIKE, the pay is not near as important as liking to do the job. Working for 40 years at a job you don't like is not is not much to look forward to even if the money is good.

Also so what if you have to go back to school? If you had been taking some part time classes over the last 4 years you would almost be done by now.

So if you think one field is good, try some entry job or do some part time work in that area to see if that sort of job seems interesting after you find out about it really.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 08:17 PM

It sounds like you are into legal carers and are working construction an do you like working with your hands? On news and buzz talk you hear of shortages in most all medcial fields and police crime keeps going up. BUT you never hear shortages about good skilled construction workers because we aren't looked at as a professional careers. I'm over 50 and as a contractor for 32 years the pickings are thin for a multi talented rehab construction. Just on welding the average age is 54 years old. The crews average around for Skilled construction is about 42 years old. In Short America is in for a rude awakening for GOOD skilled construction in 15 or so years. So who will be available to do skilled work to keep a business and home livable? I tell My one young labor learn quick and good By the time you are 35 or so you will be able to name your own price and be very well off. For years I have been noticing that every single supply house its all 45 and 55 year old even make the comment wheres the young bucks the gophers at. They HUH nobody wants to work We have the Nintendo play station babies that weren't physical then and can't cut it now Seriously If America new how much trouble its going to be to find a tradesmen that's old fashion GOOD will be just about impossible You are going to have third world construction workers so to speak. Nothing against the Mexicans or Puerto Ricans and I also work in P.R. in construction Look at Mexico and P.R. homes and how things are repaired I have the locals begging me to work on their homes because there own people fix most things half . There are some darn hard working Mexicans and Puerto Ricans but things of common sense get lost in translation and its not the accent or actual language. It the difference's of Bacardi Rum and The upper states launching Space Shuttles. I went on but I wanted to share this little big secret
    Good Luck!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 02:49 AM

Hi, anbolic_dragon!

You'll have plenty of chances to make career changes in the future. In my opinion, that at your age, the important thing is to get going on something now, whether you need formal schooling to do it or not.

My daughter is going to turn 29 tomorrow, she's never completed college of any kind. However, she's very successful with having and maintaining her business as a concession vendor for events. She loves what she does and makes a good living doing it!

Like 21boat above, I'm also over 50. I've had a number of career changes in my life. Have been successful at all of them, but have decided to change for one reason or another primarily because of wanting to grow and learn something new and different. For me, doing the same thing all the time for most of my life - well, that's not just something that I want to do, because there's so many things that a person could do with their life if they make the correct choices, are organized and plan ahead...

21boat has mentioned the construction and rehab thing, and that's definitely something that I'm getting into now. I love doing that kind of work, and because of my doing other types of things for a career, I've been approached by others to go into it! It will be a welcome addition to what I've already been doing.

There can be really good money in it as well as satisfaction!

Just some thoughts for you...

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't decide my career? What is yours [ 3 Answers ]

I'm still not sure what I really want to become So I thought the best way was to actually here what peoples jobs are really like instead of what they sound like I was thinking of becoming an accountant because I'm good at doing math in my head and I think its fun but I'm not really sure Please...

Trying to decide my career! [ 2 Answers ]

Okay a while back I posted something about college and how I wanted to be a teacher, I also posted on how my memory problem might interfere. To review, I have a bad memory but I want to be an english teacher! I'm scared that I wouldn't make a good teacher because of my bad memory. Well a lot of...

How do I decide? [ 1 Answers ]

I am so stuck it's unbelievable! I'm currently doing my A-levels and am supposed to be applying for university now but I just have no idea what I want to do. None of my friends seem to be quite so indecisive and I feel so pressured to make up my mind it's making me ill. I used to want to go into...

Can't decide! [ 7 Answers ]

I am really really stuck!I'm trying to decide if I should try out for my middle school cheerleading squad,this is the last year that I can.I really like cheerleading, but I'm up against 6 other girls!! 3 are loved by all ,and good,and then one I know will make it because she is really good!! The...

I need help to decide [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend just moved away from Pennsylvania to Nebraska but I am stuck here. I don't know if we should stay together and have a long distance relationship or break-up. What should I do? Signed :confused:

View more questions Search