Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NinjaDoode Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Finding Standard Equation Of Hyperbola, Given Foci and Vertices.
    Find Standard Equation of Hyperbola Given Foci: (-8,0) and (8,0) and Vertices: (-6,0) and (6,0).
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 1, 2008, 11:36 AM

A standard form of the equation for a hyperbola is:

First thing to note is the that the vertices in this problem are on the x axis, and equi-distant from the origin, so that tells you that the hyperbola is centered on (0,0), and hence the values of and are both 0.

The value for a is the distance form the center to the vertices, so in this case a = 6. The focii are both at distance ae from the center, where e is defined as the eccentricity of the hyperbola, so now you can determine the value for e. But e is also defined in terms of the values for a and b:

So from this you should be able to determine b.
    harpreet2616 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2010, 07:57 AM
    [QUOTE=NinjaDoode;1397796]Find Standard Equation of Hyperbola Given Foci: (-8,0) and (8,0) and Vertices: (-6,0) and (6,0).:confused:

HOW I WILL TAKE THE VALUES OF VERTICES & FOCI IN TERMS OF 'a' & 'b' for hyperbola formulae
    harpreet2616 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2010, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    A standard form of the equation for a hyperbola is:

First thing to note is the that the vertices in this problem are on the x axis, and equi-distant from the origin, so that tells you that the hyperbola is centered on (0,0), and hence the values of and are both 0.

The value for a is the distance form the center to the vertices, so in this case a = 6. The focii are both at distance ae from the center, where e is defined as the eccentricity of the hyperbola, so now you can determine the value for e. But e is also defined in terms of the values for a and b:

So from this you should be able to determine b.
    :confused:
    eulalio Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2012, 04:33 PM
    Find the equation for the hyperbola that satisfies the given conditions? For Vertices(0, + or - 7) asymptote y= +or - 1/4.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find vertices and foci [ 4 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me how I find the vertices, foci, and what is p? How do I find it.

Finding an equation being given the foci and the directrix [ 1 Answers ]

foci (4,-1), directrix x=2

View more questions Search