Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geewilicurs Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Shower leak in downstairs ceiling
    Hello all hope some where is there that can help. I have had a ceiling leak from upstairs shower/tub combo. It has damaged the ceiling in the kitchen below to the point I have had to cut ceiling and no leak. So repaired ceiling and yep leak came back. Son came home for an extended stay and shower has completely damaged the ceiling again.

Here is what happens, after I open ceiling he starts tub to warm water and no leak. He starts shower and maybe 5 minutes later a leak begins and appears to be coming up past the drain not sure if higher the spout but up that way. What do you guys think? Really appreciate any help, I am ready to rip out the whole shabang this time! :mad:
    clhend Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Nov 28, 2008, 02:52 PM

Well you've got to repair the leak before fixing the ceiling that's for sure! As you've found, if you don't, the leak will simply ruin the repairs.

If you can't do the repairs yourself the you'd better hire a plumber to come in a fix the problem. If you don't get the leak fixed, you will continue to have problems with the ceiling. Also you are risking deadly mold developing or the wood supporting the upstairs shower weakening to the point of falling through to the kitchen.

Rereading again, you may have a blockage in the lower drain that is causing a backup of water. Have you tried using some Draino or other clog remover? Shower drains are notorious for getting clogged with hair.

Nov 28, 2008, 03:05 PM

But my son and I have both run the tub and it drains without any problem? Just to be sure though I will go and run the tub now and see if it backs up and leaks. THANKS!

Nope no leak. Ran just the tub for well over 5 minutes and drains fine and no leak.

Nov 28, 2008, 03:22 PM

Did you run the shower or just the regular faucet? You may have a problem with the shower pipe...

Nov 28, 2008, 04:13 PM

Just ran the tub spout.

Nov 28, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Try running the water through the shower head for the same length of time and see if the problem (leak) returns
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 05:50 PM

Do you have a fiberglass unit or tile surround. If you only experience the leak when using shower head, water may be running down wall and leaking through damaged grout(if tile), or running down inside shower and leaking through at faucet trim plate or tub spout. Try siliconing around tub spout and faucet trim plate. May also be a leak at shower arm threads, or supply pipe.

Try filling the tub all the way up to the overflow, let it keep filling and see if you don't see a leak then.

Nov 29, 2008, 06:55 AM

I have the tile grout around the tub. I will try and give this idea a shot later today thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2008, 07:12 AM
    Got a hunch that this will be simple to locate the leak if you have the ceiling opened up. My bet's on one of two p-laces.
    1) when taking a shower the stream hits the yile wall where the tile grout has shrunk allowing water to run down the wall board omto the floor. **or**
    2) The tub flexes and gives a bit when you step into it. Over time this will rupture the drain seal and it will leak past the trap and raiser.
    Both of these can be checked out from the open ceiling. Let me know what you find. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Leak to Downstairs Ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

My bathroom appears to be leaking into the ceiling of the apartment below me. The tub/bathroom appears to be very old (at least 30+ years) and the maintence person and myself cannot figure out the leak. At one point, we noticed water dripping down from the sides of the tub wall so we installed a...

Shower leak from the ceiling [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I have a shower leak from my ceiling flowing down into my kitchen. I know this subject was covered previously, but I think my story may or may not be a little different. Recently, my shower was and still is stopped up with standing water that slowly drains. I tried all the simple answers to...

Ceiling leak from upstairs shower [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a gasket around the chrome plate for the tub drain lever? I thought I fixed my leak by tightening the 2 screws which were loose. Now the leak is back and the screws are tight. If there is a gasket it might be bad. Any thoughts?

Downstairs Leak from Upstairs Shower [ 1 Answers ]

Our upstairs shower is apparently leaking into our dining room directly below it. It looks like the previous homeowner attempted to fix the problem as there is a hole in the dining room celing that was filled with plaster. I'm sure it's the shower, because it only leaks when the shower is on. ...

Leak in ceiling from upstairs shower [ 2 Answers ]

The ceiling in my downstairs bathroom leaks when the upstairs shower is used. The leak starts about five minutes after the shower has been turned on and continues after the shower is turned off. The leak is coming from two or three small holes in the wood directly beneath the upstairs shower. ...

View more questions Search