Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Nov 30, 2008, 04:39 AM
    Thanks, however I do not think this is the problem because I switch my computers and xbox off every night. All I would really like to know is if this could be my ISP, router or computers? Is there any way to check these different things?

Dec 1, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Please anybody?
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 1, 2008, 05:50 PM

Your ISP should have diagnostic tools on their end for troubleshooting connections; I'd contact them for help in diagnosing the problem.

Since you asked, most likely causes of your problem in my opinion include your router's hardware, your router's firmware, the way you've set it up, performance of the cables and other stuff connecting your network together, the quality of your connection to your ISP, a malware infection, or the ISP itself. Or some combination of the above.

Here are some things you might check:

* Make sure you have the right firmware installed on your router; if it's not current with the latest version, download and install

* If your router's old, you might replace it but I'd do this after you've checked everything else

* Make sure your cables are in good shape, seated properly, not tangled in a bird's nest

* Contact your ISP and have them walk you through setup of your router. Make sure everything's set up correctly.

* If you're not running antivirus and antispyware tools, install & use the following free programs: AVG Free (antivirus), Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware 2008 Free.

* Contact your ISP and work with them to analyze your line's performance. They should have tools to monitor traffic coming out of and going into your PC.

And if all else fails, you can pick up a new router cheaply at a site like TigerDirect.

Dec 2, 2008, 10:24 AM
    That's the problem, every time I phone up Tiscali they do the same checks and nothing gets done.

Dec 2, 2008, 10:28 AM
    Also my router has the latest firmware and I can't see how it is the router because it only seems to happen in the evening. Surely this is an ISP problem?
    amsteube Posts: 75, Reputation: 6

Dec 2, 2008, 11:19 AM
    This is most definitely a problem with the router. If you have a Linksys router you should be able to go into the device manager and find it. Click on go to device website and make changes from there. If you aren't sure what you are doing either let me know and I can help you along or call the customer support. Linksys actually has terrific customer support but it may be a long call as they will have you try multiple hard and cold resets before doing anything else.

Aaron

Dec 2, 2008, 11:32 AM
    It is a netgear router, but why do you think it is the router? Surely it would happen in the day and not just in the evening?

Dec 2, 2008, 11:37 AM
    The reason I believe it is the router is because at night when volume on the ISP's server increases unless you have a static IP it can cause your IP to change which can, in turn, make your router do weird things. I have a ps3 and almost every time I log on to the internet through my ps3 it somehow takes the IP address from one of the computers. I found that the easiest way to fix this is simply to unplug the router and then unplug the modem. Plug the modem back in and turn it on let all the lights come on and then plug the router back in. It works for me every time.

Dec 2, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Yer that's what I have to do every time. Switch the router off then back on agen and it works, but I don't want to keep doing this.

Dec 2, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Ya it gets old but I have tried almost everything I can think of. Adjusting the settings on the router seems to help it happen less often but I have never gotten it fully cured.
    zawatska Posts: 226, Reputation: 12

Dec 2, 2008, 01:37 PM

Do need use avg as your virus protection. We have had nothing good happen with that program. It gave us false readings (said we had a virus when we really didnt) and gave us repeated pop ups... and as far as your problem with your router, I've got nooo idea!

Dec 2, 2008, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zawatska View Post
    do need use avg as your virus protection. we have had nothing good happen with that program. it gave us false readings (said we had a virus when we really didnt) and gave us repeated pop ups...and as far as ur problem with ur router, I've got nooo idea!
    Many people use AVG successfully including IT professionals. AVG doesn't generate popups, if you're getting many of those you may have adware infecting your machine... you need tools like Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D to address adware. AVG is certainly a superior solution to Norton/Symantec in my experience. Since most AV programs use heuristics for identifying certain viruses, I believe most of them can be prone to the occasional false positive.

Dec 2, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Yes I have always used AVG it is very good, however this still does not sort out my internet problem.

Dec 2, 2008, 04:49 PM

Since Tiscali has been unable to provide you with support to work through the problems, it seems to me you have three options:

1. If there's another ISP in your area, switch over to them
    2. Buy another router and hope for the best
    3. Find a tech expert locally who can come by your house and troubleshoot the problem for you

If it were me, I'd go for 3 - troubleshooting a problem like this through a forum is unlikely to get you very far. We have local folks in the phone directory here who help with tech problems like this, see if you can find someone like that in your area.

Dec 2, 2008, 10:13 PM
    Well before switching ISP's I would try to trouble shoot with the tech support at Netgear. If they can solve your problem you don't need to buy a new router.

Dec 3, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Once again it has happened. I phoned Tiscali all they say is plug your router into the master socket, during the problem of the internet freezing my downstream noise margin reached 10 digits and then it fluctuated. Once again after the reboot it works fine. What is going on!!

Dec 3, 2008, 01:07 PM

Check your cables and make sure they're not crossing or lying next to any power lines. If you're going through a phone socket, make sure everything on your phone sockets have ADSL filters between the wall and the device, and make sure your phone lines aren't crossing or lying next to any power lines. Minimize the length of the phone cable between the wall and the router; use a longer Ethernet cable between your PC and the router if needed.

Dec 3, 2008, 01:19 PM
    I don't understand where you mean?

Dec 3, 2008, 05:37 PM

You've got a PC, a router, and a wall socket connected by cables. One possible cause of the symptoms you're seeing is interference (causing the noise). You can get this from power wires or other cables that cross or lie next to the cables that connect your PC to your router, and your router to the wall.

ADSL filters are little boxes that go into your phone outlets, and you plug your phone cables into them. You need one of these on every phone jack in your house that has a phone, FAX, or other piece of equipment on it. They run about 10USD/8EUR; my ISP provided me with two of them when I opened my account. You can get them at a phone/electronics store. They will reduce interference from devices on the phone line.

As I said before, if this is all too confusing for you, you may want to find someone locally who can help you troubleshoot the problem.
    zawatska Posts: 226, Reputation: 12

Dec 3, 2008, 08:26 PM

I bought a BRAND NEW computer and installed free version of AVG and got crazy pop ups and false readings. How could I get a virus the FIRST DAY I bought the computer? I had no internet connection yet @ all...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evening or morning? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been trying to lose weight for about 3 months now and haven't seen any improvement. If at all, I feel like I have gained. I only eat around once a day and snack through out the day. I have cut out cokes,and tea. I was a big tea drinker. Anyway, I still have to have some kind of caffeine...

Evening bag [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to make an evening bag?:p

View more questions Search