Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 4, 2008, 04:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zawatska View Post
    I bought a BRAND NEW computer and installed free version of AVG and got crazy pop ups and false readings. How could I get a virus the FIRST DAY I bought the computer? I had no internet connection yet @ all...
    If by popups you mean diagnostics from AVG reporting potential problems, that might be the case. If on the other hand you mean popup ads unrelated to AVG functionality, then they're coming from some other software that got installed on your PC. And if you were seeing them in a browser, why were you running a browser if you weren't on the internet? I'm assuming you installed free AVG from a download... which means you were on the internet long enough to download AVG. It only takes a minute on the internet to get infected, and it wasn't visiting the AVG site that got you infected that first day: think back on everything else you did the first day you had your PC.

As I said before, all anti-malware programs (including AVG) can give false positives; none are 100% perfect, some are better than others. I just installed XP SP 3 on a machine and forgot to deactivate Spybot S&D; it reported strings of false positives during installation.

BTW, adware isn't strictly speaking a virus... that's why you typically run different programs to remove viruses and adware (though increasingly commercial packages are detecting both).
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Sorry to be rude but this is my thread please don't post other problems. I just want to sort my problem out.
    zawatska Posts: 226, Reputation: 12

Dec 4, 2008, 04:17 PM

my friend had one of those memory stick things or something, and plugged it into my tower and put it AVG on my computer...

yes they were random pop ups... ya know, Free stuff or surveys or whatever..

and apologisenow- You use AVG so this could somewhat help you or others who view this thread... its all about personal experiences. And they aren't my "problems" anymore.

Dec 5, 2008, 04:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologisenow View Post
    Sorry to be rude but this is my thread please dont post other problems. I just want to sort my problem out.
    I suggested using AVG, the other user said there were problems with AVG and not to use it, so I believe the response was germane to the thread.

Dec 5, 2008, 04:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zawatska View Post
    my friend had one of those memory stick things or something, and plugged it into my tower and put it AVG on my computer...

yes they were random pop ups...ya know, Free stuff or surveys or whatever..
    What you will get occasionally from the free version of AVG is a pop-up advertising the paid version of AVG. That's it; AVG does not itself install malware or generate ads for things. If you got infected, it was from your friend's memory stick or from something he/she did while installing the program. Like any other external device, a USB stick can contain malware and can be the source of infections.
    Apologisenow Posts: 295, Reputation: 2

Dec 5, 2008, 07:59 AM
    This is not to do with my problem. I use AVG always have done and it's fine, I want to know why this is happening to my internet and not peoples views on AVG.
    flamingo1234 Posts: 75, Reputation: -1

Dec 6, 2008, 09:51 AM

The same thing is happening to me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evening or morning? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been trying to lose weight for about 3 months now and haven't seen any improvement. If at all, I feel like I have gained. I only eat around once a day and snack through out the day. I have cut out cokes,and tea. I was a big tea drinker. Anyway, I still have to have some kind of caffeine...

Evening bag [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to make an evening bag?:p

View more questions Search