Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilive4u Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2008, 06:46 PM
    How can I leave a christian home where I feel stuck?
    I am 20 years old and I live with my parents. I am sick and tired of feeling stuck in my house without permission to go out with my friends. My father is the type that has rules that I have to follow if I still live in his house, but I don't have the courage to confront him. That is why I want to leave my house, but I don't have money or friends that can help me move out. What can I do?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2008, 06:51 PM

Well, at 20, you could show some signs of growing up?

You should have a job by now, unless you are still in school.

If your parents are supporting you then they get to make the rules.

You are welcome to set your own rules, when you are able to pay your own way.

That's what growing up is all about.
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2008, 08:13 PM

Make a plan including:

*where you want to live
    *what housing options are available
    *household items you'll need
    *how much income you'll need to pay your share of rent and bills
    * how much extra you'll need to pay for your education
    *how much money you can save on top of that
    *life skills you'll need to look after yourself including cooking, washing clothes, sharing the cleaning, etc.
    *how you want your life to be over the next five years

If you can work through each of those and come up with a workable plan, then you're on your way.
    buggie_666 Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Nov 29, 2008, 09:06 PM
    I know how you feel I'm the same way until I just stopped I told my mom I don't like church I don't like the pepole and she said OK! I don't know you family may be different? :D
    VolklGuy Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2008, 04:53 PM

If you're 20... and your parents won't let you lead an adult life just because you live with them for whatsoever reason... Your parents are the ones that need talked to. It's not a bright and cheery world out there, but that's not the point. At 20 you should be doing 20 year old things and experiencing life. I hope you weren't held away from your childhood by being home-schooled. You need to sit them down and tell them what you want and how you think it's important for you as an adult. Maybe they'll see the light and like most good parents out there... They should help you in some way to achieve your goal.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 2, 2008, 04:57 PM

If you aren't paying rent, or for food, or anything, then it doesn't matter how old you are.

Want to make your own rules, then move out on your own.

It's time to get a job and start paying for yourself.

As long as I support my kids and they live under my roof (which I pay for) they will abide by my rules.

Being an adult isn't only about your age.
    Need a friend Posts: 80, Reputation: 2

Dec 4, 2008, 03:46 AM

I have to agree with most of the other posts. I DO understand your feeling of wanting to live your own life but with that comes resposnsibility, like paying your own way. It does sound like you have a communication problem. The world can be a scary place. You might start by talking with your dad. Look at his perspective... I know it is hard to do but it sounds like you have your wings you just need to use them
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Dec 28, 2008, 07:39 PM
    You have to take action to get what you want. When I was 21, I was in the same boat you are. I had quit school, hated it and did poorly. My mom said that if I did not go to school, I had to work full time and pay them rent. I still had to abide by there strict rules. Early curfews, and many many chores went with that.

Well, you better believe I got my ducks in a row. I had saved my money from part time jobs and had enough to pay cash for my used car. Therefore, no car pmt. And no charge card pmts. Either. That's all part of the prep work.

I got a full time job. Without an education, the pay was pretty low. So, I kept my ears and eyes open for a roommate. I found one in my work place and we got an apt. together. Today, 30 years later, we are still like sisters.

If you are unhappy, you have the power to make it better. Use your power.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Very tricky situation, he won't leave me alone, making me feel bad [ 7 Answers ]

I dumped my boyfriend because I couldn't handle his high sex drive, his humour side that just wasn't funny, the image he liked to think he had, the way we had little communication. Now he is begging my saying he loved me, I'm his everything, and that I'm not being fair, he begging for a another...

Flowers to the funeral home for viewing or to the Church for Christian burial? [ 3 Answers ]

We live out of state and just heard of an unfortunate passing of a loved one. We would like to send flowers to the family. The viewing at the funeral home is on Sunday. As most of you are aware, most florists are closed on Sunday's. Do I order them to be delivered on Saturday and let the...

I feel stuck and don't know what to do [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone I am new to this site,although I do sometimes read many posts and advice on the No Contact rule (NC) I just would like some advice myself on this situation. I'm in my mid 30's and am about to graduate college,and looking into going to grad school. I am originally from Chicago and...

STUCK? A christian marriage question... [ 1 Answers ]

Please delete message and thank you for all the kind words they are appreciated.

View more questions Search