Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tatiana2878 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Depo shot & missed periods
    I was on depo for over a year. I had my last shot in October 2005 & never returned for another because after going to the dr. for tonsillitis he informed that the depo shot was the reason I had been gaining weight so quickly & my sex drive was completely gone. That having been said I have been off the depo shot since my last injection & after my next shot was due & I didn't get it, I spotted for a couple of days about a month after & have not done anything since. How long is normal to go without a period after quitting depo? Also my sex drive is still zero. I'm more excited about getting snapped with a wet towel then sex.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 29, 2006, 11:25 AM
    Let me start with the fact that I am only a nursing student and I in no way can diagnose medical conditions on the internet, but I will start by giving you some advice based on my many years of personal experience as well as what I have learned in school to this point.

Oh, getting snapped with a wet towel, well that is bad. Let us start with your age. Certain ages can have an effect on menstruation.

However, that being said, it is not unusual to be without menstruation for 6 months to a year, depending on age and stress levels.

As far as sex drive, that may have more to do with stress levels or a hormonal imbalance.

It would be best for you to go to the doctor and have complete blood work done. This could arise from a number of things, hormonal imbalance, thyroid or pituitary problems.

The doctor has the best answers for you.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 29, 2006, 05:22 PM
    Just a little note here. Tatiana, I didn't get mine for over a year. I heard it can take 2 years to get your period back.

I would do what Janine said though, she sounds pretty helpful.
    Take care.
    tatiana2878 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2006, 07:01 PM
    Thanks for responding so quickly!
    aprilfoolsbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2006, 08:44 AM
    Hi all...
    I am asking the same question... only that I was on the depo for 4 years, then the because pill for about 2... then I got the shot only 1 time (3months). I did not go back and get it again and have not started any more birth control. This was about 5 months ago. Is it normal to have no period for this long of time even though I only got the shot 1 time?
    I would go to the Dr. at this point if I had health insurance... but in reality, I can't afford it (just got laid off a month ago) and if this is a normal side effect I'm going to hold off until I feel like something is wrong. I have been tested for thyriod problems once a year and never had any... so I'm not terribily concerned.
    My partner and I have only had sex 1 time and used a condom. No signs of pregnancy.. and honestly, I have had a few PMS signs... but no actual period.

Please advise.

Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 19, 2006, 08:58 AM
    Aprilfoolsbaby,

What you are experiencing is quite normal considering the length of time you were on the birth control. Depo for 4 years then pill for 2 years and then one shot of depo after the pill. It is possible for it to take up to 2 years to have a period after being on these kinds of because for so long.

You should know that you CAN still get pregnant though. Just because you are not bleeding does not mean you are not ovulating. These kinds of because fool your body into not building up a sufficient amount of menarche in your uterus, thus no shedding, hence no bleeding. However, you are still ovulating. This may be why you are experiencing PMS symptoms.

I understand you cannot afford to go to a doctor. If you live in the U.S your county will have a local Health Department that is run by the government and if they cost anything they go on a sliding-scale fee, which means that they take your income into account when determining how much, if anything, to charge.

I believe you should try and go this route and speak with someone there about your concerns.
    aprilfoolsbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2006, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Aprilfoolsbaby,

What you are experiencing is quite normal considering the length of time you were on the birth control. Depo for 4 years then pill for 2 years and then one shot of depo after the pill. It is possible for it to take up to 2 years to have a period after being on these kinds of b/c for so long.

You should know that you CAN still get pregnant though. Just because you are not bleeding does not mean you are not ovulating. These kinds of b/c fool your body into not building up a sufficient amount of menarche in your uterus, thus no shedding, hence no bleeding. However, you are still ovulating. This may be why you are experiencing PMS symptoms.

I understand you cannot afford to go to a doctor. If you live in the U.S your county will have a local Health Department that is run by the government and if they cost anything they go on a sliding-scale fee, which means that they take your income into account when determining how much, if anything, to charge.

I believe you should try and go this route and speak with someone there about your concerns.
    Hello and thank you for the reply.
    I have looked into the sliding scale fee and it's about $70 per visit. That is a lot right now, but I will pay it if I start to worry. Today I felt what totally felt like a period, so I'm pretty certain that is what is going on. It was either a period or really bad gas. :D Either way, I will go to the Dr. next month if there is no change.

Have a good evening!
    aquarius81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tatiana2878
    I was on depo for over a year. I had my last shot in October 2005 & never returned for another because after going to the dr. for tonsillitis he informed that the depo shot was the reason I had been gaining weight so quickly & my sex drive was completely gone. That having been said I have been off the depo shot since my last injection & after my next shot was due & I didn't get it, I spotted for a couple of days about a month after & have not done anything since. How long is normal to go without a period after quitting depo? Also my sex drive is still zero. I'm more excited about getting snapped witha wet towel then sex.
    I could agree to that, however, I just recently quit the depo shot within the last month, didn't take the scheduled shot. Had been on the shot for 5 years, Im wondering myself how soon do periods begin after stopping the depo shot and when does the sex drive come back?
    aims2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 08:54 AM
    I'm only 16 and I began using the depo shot because my periods would last 3 weeks out of the month. When I first used it I had some spotting but eventually no period at all. I used it for a little over a year and now 2 months after I quit using it, still no period. I really hate going to the doctor, but I can't help but feel it isn't normal.
    mgnmalacara Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 03:06 PM
    I had depo and I have been off it for almost 7 months now and I have been on my period for the last three months... continuous bleeding... I do not know what it means and its really weird... but that just goes to show that I think it just depends on how different each persons body is. That is something that you should ask the doctor about.
    krsone Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2009, 08:46 PM
    Hey everyone. When I was 16 I was on Depo for 2 years. Stopped at 18, took 1 months worth of Ortho-Tri Cyclen and got my period back immediately, but stopped the Ortho because it made me CRAZY. Anyway I'm 23 now and I was only on one dose of Depo (3 months). I missed the follow up appt and haven't been on BC since but I haven't gotten my period since I stopped it which was in July and its now almost December. Is it normal for only having the shot once to not have my period for this long?
    deebzy Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2010, 04:50 PM
    Hi just wondering if any one could help me please? I had been on the depo for 9 months. I stopped getting my period after the second shot. And I have been off the depo for three months now and got a day of spotting after coming off injection. I have a 12 month old son, and split up wit the father almost 6 months ago.. I have gained 5kg since been on depo and 3 inches around waist.. I also get flutters. I have taken numerous home pregnancy tests all negative. Could I be pregnant or is it just a matter of waiting for my periods to come back? Very confused would appreciate any feedback.
    roshelld1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2010, 02:15 PM
    Is it possible to be pregnant if u are off your shot and u miss two periods
    Keisha4076 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2011, 11:15 PM
    I have a question... I had my first Depo shot in march, the next day me and my boyfriend had sex... After that we did it two more time... 2 sundays ago he *** inside me... I missed my period for march... So can I be pregnant again... I need sum answers ***!!
    b3astty Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2011, 09:39 AM
    Hey all! U guys were very helpful to me I been looking 4 answers and questions like these all day.. I've been on depo sense 12/14/03 faithfully never had periods or spottin but for the last 2 days I've really been havein weird symptoms like discharge and light spottin and soreness down there.. I'm really worried my next shot is due July I have made me a doc. App. 4 2moro I might have 2 let depo go I will miss not haven periods doe but ill get over it rt.?

May 24, 2011, 09:43 AM
    Comment on roshelld1's post
    U sure culd b

May 24, 2011, 09:44 AM
    Comment on Keisha4076's post
    Possiable but I wuld defentlly take a pregnancy test

May 24, 2011, 09:45 AM
    Comment on roshelld1's post
    Excuse my miss spellin

May 24, 2011, 09:49 AM
    Comment on deebzy's post
    I beleave its your hormoans and nervousness of beein pregnant. Plus stress
    xx kelly xx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2011, 01:21 PM
    Hi I've been on the injection for a year and I came off it in April gne I have put on 2half stone and I've had no perids and I am depressed I'm olny gone 20 could tis be from the injection? Sum1 help ***

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depo Shot [ 18 Answers ]

I just started the depo shot about 5 days ago... so far all I have heard about it is horror stories... I am glad to report that so far I haven't had any side affects... only a little more sensitive... but then again it hasn't even been a week yet... I kind of just got on it with out asking any...

Depo [ 5 Answers ]

I was on the depo shot for 6 months and missed my last shot. Its been a month and I still haven't gotten my period.How long until I get my period again? Should I be taking a pregnancy test?

Depo Provera [ 3 Answers ]

I was on the Depo shot for a little over a year. I was put on it to try and stop abnormal bleeding. I have recently read on many sites that you should not even take depo if you have unknown bleeding. anyways, i always had abnormal periods and when i was on the shot i didnt get my period at all. ...

2 missed periods constant cramping [ 1 Answers ]

I have missed 2 periods and I should have had my last one over 10 days ago, over the last 2 and a half weeks I've delt with heavy menstraul cramping but no period. It's to the point where I just can't do normal activities. I've tried many times to get an appointment with no luck. I don't take...

Missed periods [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my names lynn I was on the mini pill up till 9 months ago I've not had a period since then I had the morning after pill in dec05 and had a heavy period I am not pregnant and still haven't had a period I am 35 can you help

View more questions Search