Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    azdesertred Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2006, 11:00 AM
    1995 Toyota Tacoma won't start, no spark
    My 1995 Tacoma was ruuning fine when one evening I got in it and started driving from my house. At the end of my street, after turning a corner, the truck simply died! I tried to start it, and nothing! It hasn't started since. I towed it home that night & discovered that it wasn't firing. I've replaced the ignition coil, ignitor, cap, rotor, plugs, & plug wires. I've checked the ohm resistance of the pick-up coil and evan checked the air gap. Any suggestions at this point would give me SOME hope!!

I'm a 34 yr. old single mother of 5 children, and I live in a VERY rural area! I am the ONLY financial resource working towards the effort of supporting my family (I don't receive ANY child support or other assistance) and this is my only source of transportation! The nearast store is 15 mi. away. I my place of employment is approx. 35 mi. from my home. I am about to lose my job & all hope. I've been raised by a single father, so I know about cars, but this problem has got me stumped! PLEASE HELP!!
    95Taco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 10:51 AM
    I had the same problem with my 1995 Toyota Tacoma, and have still not figured it out.

The posting from Azdesertred was a few years ago (2006), so if anyone knows the outcome, or has a solution, please reply.

Thanks, 95Taco
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 10:57 AM

. Test all underhood and underdash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post252145

. Check for codes.

. Test for power to the distributor.

. Test for spark. If there's no spark, replace the items azdesertred did.

. Test for fuel.
    james1allen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
    One other place is to check the resistance on the crankshaft sensor. If it is bad... it will not run
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2012, 03:33 PM
    Wow! Reading that old post what a story. Single mom, only 34, with 5 kids!! Wonder how she made out? But like most, they come on here, report problem, and NEVER get back with us.
    Anywhooo.. just so the rest see this, the 1995 Tacoma's were one of the last Toyota trucks built with a distributor. Inside the dist lies an ignition coil.
    I know the OP stated the coil was replaced, but with what?. An off the shelf, works if it wants to, aftermarket special?
    Anyone with one of these trucks, save yourself the trouble and go get a Toyota OEM ignition coil!
    This fixes 98% of these issues 95 Taco's die of. FYI
    Have a nice day.
    wwdiver Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
    Thanks Kitch428. I had the same problem as the OP, went out and purchased the OEM coil and was back on the road. To anyone else who may follow, do yourself a favor and also purchase the gasket at the same time otherwise plan on a second trip as those things get brittle.

I realize now that there were several precursors to the ignition coil failure... hard start on warm days, loss of power and stalling.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2012, 03:42 PM
    That's great! Thanks for the report. I'm sure many will see it and will benefit from it.
    2485wp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2013, 06:07 PM
    Hi kitch428 hey man what's OP mean?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2013, 06:39 PM
    Other person.
    2485wp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2013, 07:34 PM
    Thanks TxGreaseMonkey!
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2013, 08:43 PM
    Original poster of this thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 Honda Accord LX won't start,no spark [ 4 Answers ]

My 92 Honda Accord won't start, coil has no spark.the starter cranks fast, I replace the coil, the main relay switch and the ECU module inside the distributer.I used a multimeter to check the battery voltage (12 volts) but the highest voltage going in to the coil is only 1.4 volts. I could use some...

1989 Honda civic won't start! ( No SPark) [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everybody, My name is Leeboy! I am building or finished building a 1989 Honda civic entry level stock car for my girlfriend. I took all interior parts out( I left all the original wiring and harness for at this level we have to have lights and keep everything in original order) and installed a...

Civic 2000,fuel and spark, no start [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Civic 1.6 ,single cam ,that quit running.Engine turns over,good battery,fuel pump runs,injectors get fuel and signal to open and close.Also, it has spark and the engine timing is fine, but it does not start.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

View more questions Search