Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Bathing Children
    My friend and I both have 3 year old children. We are both males in good relationships with the kids mothers, respectively. He has a little girl, I have a boy. We are both very involved and devoted fathers.

We got into a discussion a while ago about our responsibilities as a parent. We both changed diapers, feed them, clean after them, whatever needs doing... except he refuses to give his daughter a bath. He called it "a woman's job". Figuring it was a cross-gender point, I asked if he had a son instead would it still be the case. He said that "bathtime is a woman's responsibility".

This confused me. Now, my buddy is a great guy, open minded, nice as anyone could possibly hope for... yet this. Am I off base thinking that he is a little out there on this one or is this a prevailing thought? I give my son his bath 95% of the time and my 9 month daughter maybe one out of five times.

This discussion has bothered me for a while.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 27, 2008, 06:04 AM

Hmmm! I really don't understand why he would think this would be solely a woman's job. I do think he's a little off base. I'm not sure I understand his reasoning. Bathtime should be fun, no matter who is giving the bath. Do you think maybe he thinks people will think something is odd if he is bathing his daughter?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    Hmmm! I really don't understand why he would think this would be solely a womans job. I do think he's a little off base. I'm not sure I understand his reasoning. Bathtime should be fun, no matter who is giving the bath. Do you think maybe he thinks people will think something is odd if he is bathing his daughter?
    I don't know. Ive known him for a long time and never came across anything that might make me think that he would care even if someone DID think it was odd. I was absolutely perplexed by the conversation
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 27, 2008, 06:21 AM

Yes, it does seem somewhat odd. Could he have had perhaps an experience where someone told him that fathers shouldn't bathe their children, or especially girls? I'm just not sure what to think about this one. I guess I'm as confused as you! I'm grasping at straws, but maybe his mother or father told him that girls and boys shouldn't be bathed together? I really don't know! I'm as confused as you are... so I guess I'm not helping much here, lol!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 27, 2008, 07:14 AM

As long as he makes the effort, and loves his children, I guess bath time shouldn't be a big issue. Each to their own I guess! ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathing a mother cat [ 3 Answers ]

My cat gave birth to two kittens yesterday. She is a very young mother, and we are proud of her cause she is being very good. My question has to do with her hygiene. She has white fur on her back legs and it became very stained with red throughout the birthing process. We cleaned the blanket and...

How much is the neapolitan children bathing by john singer sargent worth [ 5 Answers ]

I just want to know how much this pieces of art is worth I got the original copy of it I also have several other pieces of art that are worth a lot

Not bathing after sex [ 16 Answers ]

K I have a question I am a male and need to know if my girl friend is pragnant so I am 16 years old a need a answer k well me and my girl friend had sex Monday as we were going at it I had to so I pulled out but I don't know if it was in time I was not wereing a condum then she wants to go at it...

View more questions Search