Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Jun 29, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Human Dignity
    Hello Experts,

During WW-II many Christians were sent to Nazi camps because of their beliefs. They were remarkable in that they demenstrated their integrity to God. It was not easy because they were abused, women had their hair cut off and everything they owned or loved were stripped from them. Many were told to renounce their beliefs and sign a statement to that fact, then they would be given their freedom and they would no longer be persecuted or abused.

There were some who signed, and then there were those who did not sign. When asked why they took the stand they did, those who refused to sign replied, "staying faithful to God and keeping our integrity meant everything and at the same time, we would keep our dignity also."

These dear ones even though had lost everything, homes, loved ones and even some their life, they remained faithful to God and kept their integrity and at the same time their dignity.

a)Define what you feel human dignity is?

b)Do you feel that all humans have a basic right to dignity? Yes, why? NO, why?

c) What is the solution in keeping ones dignity, and allowing other to keep their dignity?

Take care,
    Hope12
    :)
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

Jun 30, 2006, 11:05 AM
    a)"love the other like you love yourself"- like yourself:not more, not less

b)yes - we're all the same. We're all "in the same boat"
    Animals too, by the way

c)love (unconditional&true)
    +mutual respect
    +compassion

Take care,
    Millie
    Credo Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

Sep 9, 2006, 09:25 PM
    Hi! Wow, I've never had this question posed to me, but that's awesome! Okay, human dignity is basically the right to be human; it is the right to be treated like a human in a rational, cognizant, respectful way rather than like a sub-human, animal-like, or alien creature. Yes, I do feel all humans have a basic right to dignity. Apart from the Biblical basis of all human dignity ("God created humanity in His own image; in the image of God He created them--male AND female"--Genesis 1), anthropology has pointed out that there's no such thing as different races of people on this planet. Race describes a different species compared to others (like comparing dogs to elephants--two TOTALLY different species of mammal); there is only one HUMAN race on this planet, though there are different varieties of the same species. So since all humans are relatively alike, all humans have the right to be treated equally with dignity.

One part of dignity (i.e. being treated like a person) is the idea of rational thinking, etc. In the situation you described, the issue at stake was about not being allowed to think their own thoughts and believe their own beliefs. Thus, to keep one's dignity in this situation is to say, "I'm not going to stop thinking or believing; this is one multi-faceted component of what makes me human." The way to let others keep their dignity in this same situation is to allow them the freedom to think for themselves and believe for themselves. I hope this helped:)
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Sep 10, 2006, 05:33 AM
    I was born with dignity as one of many many gifts from God. It took a huge beating as I survived growing up. It took hard work to put it back together. Now that it is fully functioning again, I have learned how to protect mine by by making careful choices concerning what I participate in. Knowing how important it is to me, I also honor it, or offer it shelter from abuse, in others... whether they realise it or not. Sadly, some don't. I know firsthand when you aren't in touch with your own diginity, its difficult to even see someone else's, let alone honor it. I am not the only one who's dignity took a beating, but rather one of the few who has recovered. Those who are in touch with their own dignity seem to know intuitively that its not possible to honor their own at the expense of another's... funny how that works!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human Evolution [ 29 Answers ]

If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes on this earth? Why didn't they evolve?

Human Face Anthropology [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the nose stick in front of mouth? Why do people slant their face to kiss?

Human Resources questions [ 1 Answers ]

1. What is the Career Scope for the person working in HR. 2. What is the basic concept of Team Buildind? How it can be useful for the Development of the company? 3. If a person who is physically Disable and is working in HR Wants to go to abroad like UK,USA. Is he capable of doing so?

I am only human [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Ok, I blew it. I contacted my ex after a 3 week period of no contact. I feel like crap and I am beating myself up. I had a lot of support from all of you, and I appreciate it. But, I do make mistakes. She didn't have time for me and said she said she didn't have time to contact...

Non-human animals [ 4 Answers ]

Do Non-human animals have values and beliefs?

View more questions Search