Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bongonlora Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 07:54 PM
    How do I answer a summons?
    I received a summons here in New Mexico.I am having a financial problem so we decided to call AFS to help us with our dept, that is last Feb or March. Now I received this summons and I don't know what to do. I don't know how to answer the summons.And don't know what to do with it. Do I just answer what they want me to answer or I need to provide another sheets to send to them?Really hard, I don't really know this kind of things.Makes me scared and nervous. . help.
    mlr08 Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2008, 11:29 PM

I know that this sort of thing is SO unsettling but these lawsuits can be fought and you can represent yourself successfully.

Start with this article at Served a Summons Or Credit Card Debt Lawsuit - Don't Call the Creditor! it should help illuminate the procedure and help you understand what steps you need to take.

You do need to file an Answer and assert what are called "Affirmative Defenses". There are many helpful people on message boards that do cite some examples such as www.creditboards.com and www.creditinfocenter.com. Also, check out your State or district's judicial website as they sometimes have PDF's of basic pleading documents. You can also purchase fill-in-the-blank templates at HOW TO ANSWER A CREDIT CARD DEBT LAWSUIT AND WIN!!!

Good luck to you and try not to be too intimidated. Remember that the majority of debt collectors who bring about a lawsuit do not expect you to answer. Turn the tables on them!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Answer for civil summons in NC [ 1 Answers ]

My husband received a civil summons in NC for credit card debt. NC has an answer form you can print out but I am not sure how to word things on it. We would like to set up a payment plan for the debt but do I put this on the answer? Also - to file this can I send to clerk of court or do I have to...

How do I answer a summons from a CA? [ 4 Answers ]

Brand new to this forum. Ran out of advice on another forum and still looking for answers. I was served with a summons from a local lawyer last Thrus. I have until 7/19/07 to file my answer. I'm not sure if it was issued legally or not. I sent them a validation of debt letter well within...

Should I answer the summons to appear or try to settle? [ 1 Answers ]

A summons to appear for an old credit card debt appeared on my door today. I was not officially served the summons, they just taped the first page of it to my door. The summons is for an old credit card debt that was charged off in November of 2004. I pulled my credit report and my last payment...

Failure to answer summons [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a car and financed it through a credit union. Was in an accident with no insurance, and was unable to pay for the car. I was served a summons because they are now suing me for the money for the car, but was unable to answer it. I have no defense against owing them the money. So now they...

View more questions Search