Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    durham08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Civil Suit - Can they take my unemployment
    I'm going to court on 12/02 because I'm being sued over an Orthodontic bill ($3000). I owe the money and am willing to setup payments, however, this is my question: I know they can take 25% of my paycheck (unless we agree on something else, I file a slow pay motion, etc) but I lost my job in August and currently am living on unemployment and child support. I'm single with a 16 year old at home and a 20 year old (that has some serious medical issues).

Will they take 25% of my unemployment check? My child support is paid directly to me from my ex so I don't see how they could take a deduction from that amount.

I would literally be on the street if they touch my unemployment. Someone please let me know asap.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by durham08 View Post
    I'm going to court on 12/02 because I'm being sued over an Orthodontic bill ($3000). I owe the money and am willing to setup payments, however, this is my question: I know they can take 25% of my paycheck (unless we agree on something else, I file a slow pay motion, etc) but I lost my job in August and currently am living on unemployment and child support. I'm single with a 16 year old at home and a 20 year old (that has some serious medical issues).

Will they take 25% of my unemployment check? My child support is paid directly to me from my ex so I don't see how they could take a deduction from that amount.

I would literally be on the street if they touch my unemployment. Someone please let me know asap.

What State? It varies.

If a Judgment is obtained the creditor CAN lien against mingled funds (if he cannot outright take your other checks). That means any monies from Unemployment/Support can be seized if they are combined with any other monies - gifts, savings, prior employment.

There is always the possibility - and it's posted often - that the credit WILL file a lien against the bank account and then you have to fight to get it removed. This takes time while your account is frozen.

So - what State and if you have automatic deposit I would change that.
    durham08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2008, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    What State? It varies.

If a Judgment is obtained the creditor CAN lien against mingled funds (if he cannot outright take your other checks). That means any monies from Unemployment/Support can be seized if they are combined with any other monies - gifts, savings, prior employment.

There is always the possibility - and it's posted often - that the credit WILL file a lien against the bank account and then you have to fight to get it removed. This takes time while your account is frozen.

So - what State and if you have automatic deposit I would change that.

State is Tennessee. I don't have auto deposit for the child support I receive or my unemployment. I have nothing in the debit bank account I do have. I also have no property or any other asset whatsoever. I rent the apartment we live in and am actually getting ready to loose the car I financed. The only money I have at all is my weekly unemployment check and my monthly child support check.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2008, 07:18 PM

Judy is correct, and it is good that you don't have direct deposit because I don't believe there is any state that allows garnishment of unemployment benefits.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by durham08 View Post
    State is Tennessee. I don't have auto deposit for the child support I receive or my unemployment. I have nothing in the debit bank account I do have. I also have no property or any other asset whatsoever. I rent the apartment we live in and am actually getting ready to loose the car I financed. The only money I have at all is my weekly unemployment check and my monthly child support check.

Honestly am sorry you're going through this but it sounds like you are "protected" at the moment from liens.

Just keep in mind about the bank account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil Suit [ 1 Answers ]

:( My name is Lori and I have a credit card company that has turned over my debt to a collection/ law firm agency. I owed $1500.00 and I have not been able to pay them. However, I did contact the collection agency and they agreed that if I sent $30.00 a month it would prevent it from going to...

Civil law suit [ 5 Answers ]

I am considering suing my ex wife and her immediate family because they never tell me anything about my girls (17 & 14 years old); how they are doing, etc. They have interfered with my relationship with my daughters & have withheld visitation. I am fed up with this. She is the custodial parent. ...

Civil suit by creditor [ 1 Answers ]

Made last payment on car Oct. 2, 2002,car was picked up and sold BELOW fair market value. Now (April 23) was served with court papers re. suit to obtain judgement against me for difference between sale price of car and the loan. Live in Texas. 1. does 4 year statue of limitations apply to this? 2....

Civil Suit [ 7 Answers ]

Civil Suit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I owned a mobile home about 3 years ago and was young and dumb, got into a high interest rate loan and could not make payments, voluntarily left and have been renting ever since. Now 3 years later am...

Civil Suit [ 1 Answers ]

I owned a mobile home about 3 years ago and was young and dumb, got into a high interest rate loan and could not make payments, voluntarily left and have been renting ever since. Now 3 years later am being sued I questioned the debt of about $35,000 when the loan was only $39,000, asking for the...

View more questions Search